WC Lathe Werks SS STI Sphere Shift Knob - Review - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WC Lathe Werks SS STI Sphere Shift Knob - Review within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hope chris is using a better coating than last year. This is after 10 months of use, it started ...

I hope chris is using a better coating than last year.

This is after 10 months of use, it started flaking after 2.5 months. I'll be getting it powder coated so it's done right.

But the knob itself is awesome.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Crb03 View Post
    I hope chris is using a better coating than last year.

This is after 10 months of use, it started flaking after 2.5 months. I'll be getting it powder coated so it's done right.

But the knob itself is awesome.
    Have you considered polishing your knob?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainfriendlyrex View Post
    Have you considered polishing your knob?
    That's what I would do.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    That's what I would do.
    Perhaps you could polish his knob for him?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    ... My knob is not going to be quite as heavy though and it will have grooves all around. Ya thats right.....texture on the knob is the key
    So your saying it will be 'ribbed", as it were..

Interesting.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by Trainfriendlyrex View Post
    Perhaps you could polish his knob for him?
    I doubt it. He's in Cali. It's been a long time since I last polished knobs on the streets of LA.

All I'm saying is that if I had a knob like his, I'd polish it.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    My main objection to metal shift knobs is the need for oven mitts to shift after the car has been sitting in the sun for a while.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    I doubt it. He's in Cali. It's been a long time since I last polished knobs on the streets of LA.

All I'm saying is that if I had a knob like his, I'd polish it.
    Cali's not that far.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My main objection to metal shift knobs is the need for oven mitts to shift after the car has been sitting in the sun for a while.
    they have their copolymer? or some material they use now that is essentially a metal that never gets hot or cold. And yes i will have a heavy black ribbed knob
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    they have their copolymer? or some material they use now that is essentially a metal that never gets hot or cold. And yes i will have a heavy black ribbed knob
    Hm... Impressive if true, and if it adheres over time and doesn't wear off. Impressions over time will be interesting.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Vez
    Quote Originally Posted by wo^tron View Post
    Yep, that's the one!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Vez
    im actually just about to order a shift knob from them for my wrx. Good to hear it is a solid product. My knob is not going to be quite as heavy though and it will have grooves all around. Ya thats right.....texture on the knob is the key
    Cool. Please let us know how you like it. I considered getting the rings/texture, but there was something about the smoothness that I unexpectedly liked.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..

I Support ClubWRX
    My right hand has been been indescribably happy since I wrapped it around this:

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Vez
    The copolymer one is essentially a type of plastic so there is no heat retention.

As for the coating, I actually went through that with him. This is the second knob I got from him; I sent back the first due to peeling after a couple of weeks and he readily replaced the knob I had that had the coating that was peeling, paid for the return shipping, sent the new knob, and was outstanding in his communication and attitude. He said that prior incarnations of the knob had an undercoating that caused it to eventually peel unbeknownst to him. He doesn't sell that one anymore, only the one I have now. Unfortunately, he shipped me one of the older versions first by accident.

Since you've had your knob for a while, maybe he'd work out something with you to change the coating for a nominal price? He seemed to really be an upstanding guy...a rarity in my experience.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

Vez
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    My right hand has been been indescribably happy since I wrapped it around this:

Another beautiful example of one of Chris' knobs. This particular one was a bit big for my Smurf hands, but a great knob nevertheless.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast