Short shifter questions? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Short shifter questions? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Honestly... I'm not sure... I bought my short shifter over 4 years ago.... I'm not sure they even make it ...

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Honestly... I'm not sure... I bought my short shifter over 4 years ago.... I'm not sure they even make it anymore.

"Wheeldude" used to be called "Subydude", and thy made an original design short shifter that was heavily praised in Subiesport magazine.. so I bought it... and still use it, with no complaints. It is a single-adjustable shifter, but made out of a solid piece of aluminum, without any welds. Great piece... now I can't even find an image of it on the internet.

But... I haven't really been watching the "new" stuff that has come out... so i have no idea how new it is.

I tell you though.... I'm ready to upgrade to that one after looking at it a couple times though... even though I don't "need" to. That is quite a nice unit.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 09-10-2010 at 08:59 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey ninefourteener - you should tell the guys over at RSD to give you job - cause I think you just talked me into buying one! Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by tiersius View Post
    Can't find the cob at rallysport - but I did see one by MODE that looks similar - anyone tried it/have an opinion?

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...er-p-4234.html
    btw. just checking out Cobb's site and their shifter is back and it looks just like that one you had the link for.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    That looks like an exceptionally good product. I've never seen it.... but if I were in the market... I'd be all over that. It looks just like the Cobb unit.

Plus, I know all the guys at RSD personally, and conduct quite a few "joint effort" meets and events with them..... RSD doesn't sell crap (it would ruin their reputation).. I can guarantee it.
    I've been seriously thinking of getting that Mode shifter, but I was wondering if the adjustability is really worth the extra $$$? In what scenario would adjustment be needed? If I do spring for it, I'll throw up a review here.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Adjustability is nice because you can tailor the shifter to what you like. The shorter the shifter,the shorter the "throw" but also you have less of a leverage point. Less leverage = more force to engage. Also using a counterweight knob helps as well and compliments a nice short shifter.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by sqznjuc View Post
    I am new to the Subaru world and I want peoples thoughts on what short shifter to purchase for my 2005 WRX! Please assist me and give me your opinion.

Thanks

James T.

short throw

I put in the Cobb Short Throw sifter and it was a good improvement. I participate in organized high speed driving events and it was a major improvement. Cobbs is not expensive and quick to install

Hey Pops02, did u install any bushings with it?

definitely new bushings

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pops02 View Post
    definitely new bushings
    Great, I have the front shifter bushings coming in the mail today (Kartboy). I'll put them on the stock shifter and see how I like it, then I'm hoping the wife will let me spring for the rears and that Mode shifter, (which I think is absolutely identical to the Cobb one).

Then I can just swap out the whole shebang.

Quick list of some of the mods I have made. I was on the waiting list for the WRXs and mine was one of the first delivered in Houston. The Up Pipe was the first thing I did. Then I took it to a Stage 2 Cobb, then a Stage 3 Cobb. I recently bought a new 370Z because my WRX was really a track car and my wife wouldn't ride in it.
    1. Upgraded Up Pipe
    2. Cobb Stainless Steel Turbo Back Exhaust
    3. Cobb Access Port
    4. Upgraded Blouch Turbo 16G EVO III
    5. Upgraded Struts
    6. Upgraded Wheels and Tires
    7. Upgraded Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    8. Cobb Short Throw Shifter
    9. Upgraded Shift Knob
    10. Upgraded Injectors Deatschwerks 850s
    11. Upgraded Walbro Fuel Pump 255
    12. New timing Belt, Tensioner, Front Seals
    13. New Thermostat
    14. New Spark Plugs
    15. New Coil Packs
    16. Upgraded Cobb Front and Rear Sway bars
    17. Pro Tune

almost forgot some expensive upgrades. I also have the PPG straight cut racing gears and the ACT performance clutch and flywheel. I had to upgrade these to handle the additional power.

Wow nice list of mods. I always wanted similar mods on my 03-06 wrx's, but I have to say, I'm extreemly impressed with my stock 2011. I don't race.....yet, but its really much better in every way over the older models. Definately still needs a short shifter though lol

I Support ClubWRX
    @Pops02

Are you happy with the Cobb swaybars? I'm looking at those or the Beatrush ones. I live practically next door to Surgeline Tuning, so I'm leaning toward the Cobb, since they probably have it in stock.

Back on topic, are there any weighted knobs anyone can recommend to complement a short throw shifter?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

sway bars are very good. knob is also from Cobb, do not get hot in the summer. I was at a track event and it was 108 and the knob never felt hot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast