Rattle me insane!!!

This is a discussion on Rattle me insane!!! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So this rattle I am hearing from the rear of my ’10 WRX is driving me mad!! My fiancée and ...

Rattle me insane!!!

So this rattle I am hearing from the rear of my ’10 WRX is driving me mad!!

My fiancée and I searched and searched. Drove around the block a number of times with her straddling the spar tire looking for the rattle (one reason why she is my fiancée). Finally we found the culprit.

Now how do I address it is the question? The flashing (I guess that what you would call it) from the cover of the rear of the back seats is the issue. This continuation of the rear upholstery runs down the back of the seat then kicks out and provides a…uhh…flashing to cover the spare tire holding compartment. It is held in place with 2 clips on either side. The seats and this “flashing” are split and both sides rattle. They are secured but the lip of the flashing vibrates against the metal compartment for the spare.

Help please! Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's under warranty. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Hatch or sedan? Every once in a while I get an extremely annoying rattling coming from the back seat of my '10 sedan. I believe it is coming from the thin plastic hinged car seat covers. I have been meaning to tape them but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Welcome to the world of a Subaru owner. I've tried to rid my sedan of countless rattles but after about a year hI completely gave up. The rear deck had some seriously annoying rattles after a modest stereo upgrade (from a sub) and I added some sound deadening material. It got worse. Added some more...and the rattle got even louder. Finally I took everything out at I'm back to square one. I'm going in a different direction now with a turboback exhaust.

At any rate, if it is bad enough then go to the dealer but my experience with Nissan tells me they won't take it very seriously. Good luck.

You got it

Sir V....you nailed it. That is exactly what it is on mine to. It is the worst sound in the history of sound. Will tapping it down work?

Any other ideas for a solution?

lol I still haven't tried tape. But I would think that if you tape along the edge of the plastic hinged piece it would dampen it enough to kill the rattle.

Try some thin adhesive backed foam weather stripping. It's easy to apply/remove until you find the sweet spot.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX

...The noise canceling I use for my van rattles. Cut the heat shield off over the cat though, and I feel like I'm driving a caddy now =P.

I still use that to cover up any oddball sounds. Works well. I'm sure the exhaust in the sooby does a good job too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I have a '10 sedan and noticed the rear decklid rattle as well. I narrowed it down to the areas near the child seat cover things, but not the flaps specifically. I ended up using cardboard folded up a bunch of times a shoving it in the gaps to push outwards a bit on the lid. That kept it far enough away to stop the rattle. The first place I put them was in the hole of the child seat thing, then I went to the trunk and there are some holes if you look up. There should be some foam in there, just shove a peice or two in there, as fat as you can. You should be able to reproduce the sound by tapping on the lid as you work, to see if you have changed the sounds.

Now, to stop the rattle with a 10" 800w powered sub...
    USB Media Hub, Sirius tuner, Short shift kit
    V-LED Fog lights, DRL/Hi Beam, Low Beams, Red LED map lights, White LED dome light
    V-LED Front turn signals, License plate illumination
    Autolumination.com Rear turn signal, brake/tail lights, reverse LEDs, red Trunk light
    Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 Sound Processor, Sony Sony XM-ZR704 4 channel amp, 4x Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5" speakers, Sony XM-ZZR3301 Mono Amp, Pioneer Premier TS-W2502D2 10" Sub

Quote Originally Posted by melacon View Post
    I have a '10 sedan and noticed the rear decklid rattle as well. I narrowed it down to the areas near the child seat cover things, but not the flaps specifically. I ended up using cardboard folded up a bunch of times a shoving it in the gaps to push outwards a bit on the lid. That kept it far enough away to stop the rattle. The first place I put them was in the hole of the child seat thing, then I went to the trunk and there are some holes if you look up. There should be some foam in there, just shove a peice or two in there, as fat as you can. You should be able to reproduce the sound by tapping on the lid as you work, to see if you have changed the sounds.

Now, to stop the rattle with a 10" 800w powered sub...
    I approached it the same way. I put some sound deadening material in the same places to quiet things up after I installed a catback exhaust, which actually did work until the sub was added. If I ever get motivated I may take the entire deck lid out and line the whole thing but I foresee myself just giving up. At this point, it is amusing how many interesting sounds come from my new-ish car. In fact, I had a friend comment about how riding in my car is a multi-sensory experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Why doesn't it go to 11?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Why doesn't it go to 11?
    Ah, beat me to it!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

i have a 2010 rex hatch limited, and i was getting the most ridiculous rattle from all the way in the rear of the interior, and i found that it was the cargo area cover. when it is not pulled out and locked in place, it rattles like a mother.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now