Wiring circuit to be on O N L Y when the car is OFF
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wiring circuit to be on O N L Y when the car is OFF within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've done this once but can't for the life of me remember how I did it. I want a circuit ...

I Support ClubWRX

Wiring circuit to be on O N L Y when the car is OFF

I've done this once but can't for the life of me remember how I did it.

I want a circuit to be ON but only when the car itself is OFF.

How?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    well i cant help you but this is an interesting question... What on earth could you possibly be doing?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    well i cant help you but this is an interesting question... What on earth could you possibly be doing?
    my curiosity is peaked
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Me too since this is coming from Mr. Stock himself
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

um...maybe a relay that is open when the key is in the on position and closed when ignition is off, run the other part to a constant power and there you go. if i suck at explaining im sorry i could try a more detailed answer.

any hint on what its for?
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba2708 View Post
    um...maybe a relay that is open when the key is in the on position and closed when ignition is off, run the other part to a constant power and there you go. if i suck at explaining im sorry i could try a more detailed answer.

any hint on what its for?
    This sounds very familiar, yes... This is probably along the lines of what I did.

Imagine you are wiring a parking lamp -- a true parking lamp! Something low current, 12V, and on only when the car is parked, and you are out of the car with the key (all night, for example).

OK, so... to wire it conventionally and have the lamp on with the key on, it's 87 to the lamp, 85 to ground, 86 to the ignition (the key) and 30 to positive power (battery). To wire it how I want, what do I re-arrange? 85 and 86? Do I wire 85 to the key and 86 to ignition? I'm still confused...
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I would think you would have to put an "override" switch somewhere. Otherwise you leave for a week and come back to a dead battery
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I've done this once but can't for the life of me remember how I did it.

I want a circuit to be ON but only when the car itself is OFF.

How?
    build a latch.. see here

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#drto

instead of a door opening to kill the circuit, could just set it up on a toggle switch. This way, when you want to disable the circuit you can but ordinarily it will stay powered when you shut the car off. You could also wire in a relay to trip the circuit into the off mode when you turn the key to start the car. That way off when car on.. on when car off. Relays are you're friends.

www.the12volt.com massive amounts of info, tips n tricks.
    Last edited by mangostick; 07-19-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks, I looked at that site while googling for an answer... but maybe I'm being dense because I see how to set up the latch so that power is cut off when a door opens, but I don't want that. What I want is power to remain on until the key is turned to on, at which point I want power off. I'm going to stare at the diagramme a bit more because I am probably missing something simple and crucial at this point. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK, so... to wire it conventionally and have the lamp on with the key on, it's 87 to the lamp, 85 to ground, 86 to the ignition (the key) and 30 to positive power (battery). To wire it how I want, what do I re-arrange? 85 and 86? Do I wire 85 to the key and 86 to ignition? I'm still confused...
    First off, you have that a little backward. 87 should be B+ and 30 should be +ve to the load.

To wire it as 'normally off', run B+ to 87A. Wire 86 to either ignition or acc +ve as you like. 85 to ground. 30 will be hot when 86 isn't.

BCAE is also a lifesaver when your brain gets stuck.
    Happiness isn't just around the corner, it is the corner.

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you still looking into this? If you could post some more details as to when you want this circuit to actually be off it would help.

Ex. Off while car is on, On while the car is off and key is in, Off when car is off and key is out.

You have a couple options either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    OK thanks everyone.

This is where I'm heading: I want the circuit OFF when the car is on, and ON when the car is off and the key is removed.

Here's my useless think tank input: I immediately thought of the park switch in a wiper motor. Wondering if a similar scheme to accomplish what you're after. As far as adapting it for your needs I'll begin my 18 month study.....now.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    So basically you just need a relay that is open when ACC power is on and closed when ACC power is off?

According to this site all you would have to do is hook up your parking lights to pins 30 and 87a (instead of 87). Then have your ACC power going to 85 and ground 86 (or vice-versa).

I think that would do it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    So basically you just need a relay that is open when ACC power is on and closed when ACC power is off?

According to this site all you would have to do is hook up your parking lights to pins 30 and 87a (instead of 87). Then have your ACC power going to 85 and ground 86 (or vice-versa).

I think that would do it.
    I agree. However, this seems rather strange. I'd at least use a timer or something on it to make sure it doesn't run for a week straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.