Boost Guage will not read above 0psi? (pics)

This is a discussion on Boost Guage will not read above 0psi? (pics) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I'm in the process of installing an Autometer boost/vac gauge, and having some issues. I teed off of the ...

Boost Guage will not read above 0psi? (pics)

Hi

I'm in the process of installing an Autometer boost/vac gauge, and having some issues. I teed off of the line to the BPV (the one that almost everyone uses) and hooked the gauge to check if it worked before I mounted the thing.

Well, it reads 0psi when the car is off, as it should. Turn on the engine, and it reads about 15 inHg in vac. However, when I rev the engine, it goes up to 5 inHg for a second, then falls back to 15 inHg as I rev it up well into boost (past 3k).

I triple checked all connections, and cannot find a leak. Also, when i blow on the hose, I can get it to read about 3 psi, so I know the gauge will indeed read pressure.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I tapped into the line coming off of the manifold, it is a nipple coming off the top left of it and is pointed downwards. Mine works fine from there.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

I'm no expert, thinking out loud, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Should your car be generating any measurable boost while simply revving the engine? I know engine load plays a major role.

Take it for a spin.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I dont think it will from that location he's tapped into right now, isn't that a line to open the BPV?
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

I have seen several write ups that all suggest tapping into the line that i am using.

example:
    http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7...nstalledcu.jpg

I Support ClubWRX
    Were you revving the engine while the car was in gear, moving down the road? Because it's not going to make boost with no load on the engine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also, just because you're revving above 3k doesn't mean you're "in boost". It's easy to rev the engine all the way to 7k without making any boost at all, just don't push the gas too hard.

OK, its working fine, and I feel stupid. I assumed I would see pressure just revving the engine, and around 3k in 1st gear.

But I finished the installation and took it for a real drive and the gauge seems to be working fine. Hitting about 12psi, which seems normal for about 5,000 ft.

Thanks for the help.

I Support ClubWRX
    common mistake