Windshield washer now intercooler sprayer
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Windshield washer now intercooler sprayer within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I went the cheap/lazy route and bought some mist nozzles and just used my existing windshield washer pump for ...

Windshield washer now intercooler sprayer

So I went the cheap/lazy route and bought some mist nozzles and just used my existing windshield washer pump for an intercooler spray.

Works pretty well... except the windshield wipers taking a couple swipes when I hit the button :facepalm: Which I didn't even think about.

So does anyone have a clue how to disable that? I know I will eventually do it right and buy another motor and switch. But for right now in this Houston heat, it would be nice to get it working without the extra hassle.

PS: I used Aeromist nozzles and they work great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get a wagon washer bottle - front motor for your windshield, rear motor for the I/C.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Stop being a cheap ass.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Stop being a cheap ass.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjimmy View Post
    Get a wagon washer bottle - front motor for your windshield, rear motor for the I/C.
    This is the right way to do it if you want to be cheap.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Tried this method on my friend's 09 Sedan. Even took apart the interior's wiper lever assembly in hopes to disable the wiper motor when spraying.

Best way as mentioned before is to create a separate reservoir/ pump.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

I have a hatchback. So I just need to wire the rear washer motor to a new switch. That should be easy. Thanks.

So I'm ready to wire my new switch to the rear washer pump (Now IC sprayer pump). Does anyone have how to's on accessing the fuse box wiring?

My thoughts are to tap the negative side of the washer pump fuse. Wire to my on off rocker switch. Then find the positive wire to the washer pump. Cut the positive and splice my switch.

Battery---Fusebox---Switch---Motor---Ground

Someone asked me if the motor was on a relay. Does anyone know for sure?

No need to mess with any wiring. Just use the OEM switch that you use to spray the rear window. It will also turn your wiper on but you can always disconnect it if you don't like it turning on.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Naw, I have an on off switch so I don't have to hold the button down, and I do mind having the wiper flapping around for no reason, and I don't want to disconnect it all together because it is useful on rainy days.

Anyway, my first thought was to tap the main battery cable and fuse it somehow. Run through the switch in the cabin and back out to the motor, but if I can use the existing fuse circuit, I could bypass a lot of extra cable.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Check your owners manual. I believe there is already a fuse for the rear resevoir on the interior fuse box.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wouldn't you want that flipping on and off at least?

I don't know how fast that stuff evaporates, but if it doesn't evaporate almost immediately, you probably would not want to constantly spray it. It might puddle on fast enough it wouldn't evaporate (required to take heat with it don't forget) and just drip off.

I might be taking a shot at the dark, but I would guess you'd want it on some type of duty cycle. Maybe flicking on for a few seconds, then off for 10 or so depending on how fast it evaporates. You would still run it on the switch, but the switch wouldn't keep it on the entire time if you know what I mean. You could probably use a relay and a bit of creativity to do this. Let me know if you want some ideas.

EDIT: Okay, so I looked around and the sprayers are such a fine mist it shouldn't ever 'puddle' up or drip. Bad call on my part. I am surprised stock windshield washer pumps would have enough torque to support the head pressure needed to use such a fine mist nozzle.
    Last edited by Heide264; 07-02-2010 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

The way I see using it, is a 10 second shot at low speed. The nozzles are a very fine mist and I wouldn't leave it running. My idea was to cool it off in between auto-x runs or after being stuck in traffic in Houston's heat. Its not something I would use every day.

I'm more of the opinion that if you get one of these boost controlled duty cycles, you're too late to cool off the intake charge. Water is pretty much only going to get the IC back to cold start temperature or closer to it.

I am interested in what they can do with these CO2 intercooler sprayers. That seems like a good inovation to CAI if the intercooler can handle the heat cycles.

Edit: I have it hooked up to my front windshield washer pump now. The nozzles are designed for low pressure systems and work pretty well, except for some dripping after a spray, so I am thinking of putting a filter or check valve in the line to fix that.
    Last edited by ScorpionWins; 07-02-2010 at 08:45 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, not to sure about the mechanics of that. I was just shooting some ideas out there.

I understand what you mean about the timing of the spray. It makes sense. Switch is nice and easy too. I was more concerned with soaking the IC to the point of dripping for no reason.

Don't know how the check valve or filter would help out the dripping ordeal much. I think it's just a pressure vent sort of deal - once the pressure of the pump stops it drips until it reaches normal pressure. Maybe a check valve of sorts that is only open at a certain PSI?
    Last edited by Heide264; 07-02-2010 at 09:27 AM.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

If you put a filter close to the nozzle, it will prevent gravity leakage. But now that you mention it, it's not dripping that bad. Just a few drops, so its probably is the pressure like you said.

I'm just trying to think of how to get the wiring right. Hopefully all I have to do is run power from the fuse box to the motor, but if there is a relay I'm not sure that will work.

I dont think there is, because the wiper motor and the washer motor has seperate fuses.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not sure what type of current those pumps need. Worst case scenario, take a lead from the battery. I doubt it'd have to be large at least. Somebody might be able to pitch in here.

Relay wise, just put a relay in between a constant power and the pump, and then run the control part of it up to the switch or button you pick.

How is the normal pump powered?

My guess with the drips... The reason I assume its a pressure vent. The nozzles use a pressure to force water into the fine misters obviously. When that pressure gets under a certain threshold, the water would rather stay on the inside of the holes with the rest of the water in the pipe (vanderwaal forces/surface tension sorta thing). Even without the mid pressure, I would guess there is some form of capillary action going on there. Small hole... water... strangest natural force in my opinion. The water will seep through the hole like coffee going down the side of your cup onto paper. As it seeps out the hole, it collects and drips out due to surface tension.

It doesn't drip after a while though? Maybe just a simple pressure release somewhere in the system might help, but if it isn't bad, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    2011 STi Build Log

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.