Door Trim Removal Tools - are they worth it?

This is a discussion on Door Trim Removal Tools - are they worth it? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I am just about to put in new speakers and headunit etc and before I start I was thinking ...

Door Trim Removal Tools - are they worth it?

Hello,

I am just about to put in new speakers and headunit etc and before I start I was thinking do you guys think door trim removal tools are worth it? I was looking on eBay and they have a Franklin / BOJO / Scop set - is there any one which you guys would reccomend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You mean the crowbar type looking things? Just get one at walmart in my opinion. They help if you have those stupid clips of death. Might want to stop at advanced auto and see if you can get more of those clips/plastic bolts too. They tend to break regardless.

I think they are only like $7 anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+1 on buying some extra clips.

I've never purchased a tool. You can usually get by without one if you know where all the clips are located and any special tricks.

~15 years ago I bought one of those tools made by "Help" brand. (~$5 at Murray's Discount Auto) It was really handy for the crank windows I had at the time. Now I basically use it as something flat to stick under the trim to pry off those stupid clips. It's not fool-proof, nor is it perfect, but it was cheap, and I'll have it forever.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

ah k, sweet thanks for parts advice!

I've never used them. A screwdriver with a wide blade is usually all it takes. Another vote for getting extra plastic clips though. They'll usually be ok but it's just annoying if even one of them breaks and your interior door panel isn't snug after that.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Door trim removal tools? I've always just used a flat head screw driver. I've probably removed a Subaru door panel more than fifty times and have never broke a clip.