Interior Speaker Install 10' wrx

This is a discussion on Interior Speaker Install 10' wrx within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm an audio noob, just wanting to upgrade the speakers a bit. Wondering if I can grab any old 6.5inch ...

Interior Speaker Install 10' wrx

I'm an audio noob, just wanting to upgrade the speakers a bit. Wondering if I can grab any old 6.5inch coax speakers and plug n play with the stock ones? Or is there more stuff involved? Did a little bit of poking around, but there really is no definitive guide to the 2010 wrx for speaker installs. Any advice is appreciated!
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

from the digging that I've done regarding my own 2010 and speaker changes.. there are depth issues to look at (some companies offer spacers to overcome that) and they aren't quite the standard 5.6" size.. If you dig a bit there's a ton of info about it. Just search 08+ instead of just the 2010.

I also found that once I upgraded my head unit and fed more power to the stock speakers they actually sound pretty good.. so that quelled my need to pop off door panels and change things

some have had good luck amping the stock speakers and still using the factory head unit.. the real defining factor I've seen (as true with many sound systems) is power output to the speakers. More is better

The factory head unit is a clarion and is a decent quality unit until considering the internal power supply and amp. They just aren't up to the task so even though it produces a nice clean signal.. the amp cant effectively get it to the speakers.

Do you have the premium model or standard? If you have the standard like I do.. one thing I highly recommend is to get the factory tweeter panels and pop some nice tweeters in them.. install and be amazed at how much cleaner it sounds. I had a set of blaupunkts laying around so I used those. Huge difference in staging and clarity. This was after I did the head unit but the difference will be noticeable on the factory one as well.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I see, I was going to go for head unit later since I want to save up for a nice one. Before I even do that, I'd like to get nice shock sensors. So temporarily I was going to get some decent kind of all in one speaker + tweeter assemblies. Then when I get the head unit they'll be ready to go. Just don't know if it's as easy and removing the stock and putting in the new. Guess I'll have to call the manufacturer of the speaker I'm looking to buy and find out...
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||

I Support ClubWRX
    Normally the speaker + tweeter combos are much deeper to mount than component ones. I believe infinity makes some real nice shallow depth speakers. They are good quality too, and normally have some decent deals.

Are the stock speakers AC Delco equivalent? I know in most Delco systems, you can replace the head unit, but shortly after you'll be replacing speakers too. For some reason even at the same volume stock speakers just get toasted. I am sure there is an easy explanation, but they sound better when replaced anyhow.

Since clarion makes the head unit, I'm not sure about this next point. Normally, stock head units do not have the power for aftermarket speakers. I'm assuming since tweeters sound good powered off of it, then it is okay. Delco ones just don't have the balls at all. Good head units go a long way. Make sure to get one that has at least 2 pre-outs, otherwise they won't perform up to par in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

the factory head unit is lucky if it has enough output power to shake the electrons in the wires.. let alone drive aftermarket speakers. Sucks too cuz I really liked the way it kept a very simple look to the dash.

amping it would work ok, its been done. There's lots of info just have to search for it.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...f642595e92e50c

5 sec on google Should give you enough reading for a minute or two

As for the factory speakers.. dunno I've been beating the crap out of mine with my pioneer behind them for 7 months now.. not a crackle or pop out of em. Still nice n clean.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

So I think I have a plan. Going to get 6.5" coax speakers that come w/ tweeters all around along with these spacers.

http://www.iaperformance.com/product...oducts_id=2996

The sound quality may not improve much as the stock HU might not be able to drive them adequately, so I'll see what it's like. If it plain sucks then I might go back to stock. The logic behind this is speakers are relatively cheap, and I don't need top of the line ones. Therefore I may get better clarity with the tweeters and when I do get a nice HU in the future the speakers will be ready for me.

I think after that I would look into a small amp + underseat sub.

When I put the speakers in with stock HU I'll let you know if I see much improvement, as well as if it just plain doesn't work due to lack of power output.
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||

Thanks for that link.. bookmarked

You've got a good plan, I say run with it. You're correct too, next to a head unit speakers are relatively cheap. I'm sure I'd have a improvement in my own rig if I also changed out the speakers.. but considering that lately I've just not been motivated (it actually sounds pretty good) .. I'll leave em there. As for sub.. you may not have the best result with the spt unit, however there are lots of thin mount subs that will fit under the seat in a fg or small mdf enclosure. I've got a audio integrations enclosure here with a rf 10" sub in it.. just again lack of motivation to put a amp in and install it lol.. It'll get in there eventually.

If you can hold off on the sub install, I highly recommend the Audio Integrations enclosure. They're not cheap.. but fits right in the rear like a glove and the only space it takes up is space thats tough to use anyway.

http://www.audiointegrations.net/cat...69/6655814.htm

the only aspect I dont like is that I'll have to re-work the trunk/hatch area light location. I've got some led solutions in mind.. but will have to work that aspect later once I've got the sub in place.
    Last edited by mangostick; 06-19-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Damn that enclosure is expensive! But if it integrates well with the rest of the car, might be worth it, bookmarked.

I think the amp + sub will definitely come way later down the road. Especially if I get a new HU with the aftermarket speakers I'll probably be satisfied for a while. I have other things in mind that have priority.

Btw, I did some poking around and got some hints from a few threads on nasioc about taking the door panel off. With the help from a door trim/molding kid from harbor freight for 5.99 taking it off really wasn't bad at all. Granted I only took off the driver door panel, I'm confident I could probably take off all 4 in less than an hour.
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||

Question, anyone have experience with Boss Audio receivers?? They seem really cheap, and things are usually cheap for a reason... but it just seems like such a damn good deal that I want to give it a try. Link:

http://www.cartoys.com/products/prod...__Touchscreen_

Thoughts?
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||