Possible blown speakers/amp help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Possible blown speakers/amp help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I bought 2 pairs of polk db651 from crutchfield and they sounded great hooked up to my 4 ...

Exclamation Possible blown speakers/amp help

Hey guys I bought 2 pairs of polk db651 from crutchfield and they sounded great hooked up to my 4 ch JVC amp(50 watts rms x4) but I feel like an idiot after what happened last night. I noticed one pair of speaker connections from the amp came undone and I thought my car was off but my GF had put the key in without telling me as I was trying to screw the pair of speaker wires back in. There was a loud noise that came from all 4 speakers and now it makes a mess of terrible static and whine that goes away and they sound normal when I turn the volume up. It makes the noise even with the volume off! any ideas? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does your amp still turn on? And if so does it go into protection mode? If it does then it is most likley your speakers...
    Check all connections first
    Take out a speaker and hook it up to a reciever, if it works then your speakers are fine
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

the amp turns on and its not in protect. I just checked the connections too and they seem to be fine. Could it have blown all 4 speakers like that? they sound fine when I turn the volume up

Also check all fuses and make sure your rca cables are hooked in right.
    Mine have a tedency to viborate out of their location.
    If your spekers are fine then its your amp
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

its making a god-awful hum/buzz even with the volume off. and when I start the car and drive around the buzz/whine gets louder with engine rpm. i'm so confused

Quote Originally Posted by Odin2347 View Post
    the amp turns on and its not in protect. I just checked the connections too and they seem to be fine. Could it have blown all 4 speakers like that? they sound fine when I turn the volume up
    Take out 1 or 2 of your speakers and connect them to a stereo reciever and see how they sound. If they are okay then its probally your amp...
    Also smell your amp and see if it smells burnt...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Also try tweaking arround with the amp controls and see if you can fine tune it...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

thanks i'll go out and see if i can find anything out

Quote Originally Posted by Odin2347 View Post
    thanks i'll go out and see if i can find anything out
    No problem man, keep me posted on what it was...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

so I checked everything and followed your advice and the speaker seems to be good. it makes no noise with the key turned to accessory but the noise gets loud when i turn the key again and even louder with the engine on. the noise also changes/gets louder with engine rpm and its a very annoying whine/buzz. i even tried a different pair of speakers and it makes the same noise

Its your amp then... did the amp smell burnt?
    If you just riecently bought it, id take it back and exchange it and just say it was like that when you got it...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

nope doesnt smell burnt. I bought it from a local shop a couple months ago and had them install it. last night one pair of speaker wires came out and i tried to put them in while the amp was on(didnt see gf had put the key in) and its been making this buzzing/whine ever since

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like the frequency you hear is probably your alternator which means you could of popped the noise reduction in either the amp or the deck.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Sounds like the frequency you hear is probably your alternator which means you could of popped the noise reduction in either the amp or the deck.
    Can't you check this by messing with the high pass filter on the amp?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

when I disconnect the RCA's running to the amp the noise goes away...so i assume the problem is the amp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast