Possible blown speakers/amp help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Possible blown speakers/amp help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX Sounds like the frequency you hear is probably your alternator which means you could of popped ...

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Sounds like the frequency you hear is probably your alternator which means you could of popped the noise reduction in either the amp or the deck.
    +1 its either something along these lines or you have a grounding problem. Check and make sure everything is well grounded...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

both amps are grounded on a bolt underneath the trunk liner..seems to be good as i haven't had a problem untill last night

hmmm... not sure then, but my money would be alternator noise, as it seems that the pitch of the whine/buzz goes up with engine RPMs....

yeah i'm reading about alternator whine and that seems to fit the bill...but i have no idea why it started last night. maybe i shorted out something on my amp?

actually now that i think about it..there's been a slight whine at different RPM ever since I got my 2nd amp put in. but it was very slight and only noticeable when the volume was low so i didn't really think anything of it. but now it's 100x worse

I'd still double and triple check the grounding....

I Support ClubWRX
    Is it a pioneer head unit?

Pioneer and a few others use a pico fuse on the head unit side of the RCA grounds... Sounds strange and unimportant, but if fooling with power while the RCAs are plugged in, it blows, easily.

Instead of fixing the fuse, wrap a bare wire around the outside (ground) of the female RCA connectors on the back of the head unit, and screw it into the head unit chasis or ground them somehow.

I'd put $10 on that helping if they were fine to begin with.

EDIT: Snagged a good picture of google to help explain...
    Last edited by Heide264; 06-03-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.