New to the Subaru World!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the Subaru World!! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've had my 2010 WRX 5 Door hatch base, with the 4 in-door speakers... I've read somewhere that I can ...

New to the Subaru World!!

I've had my 2010 WRX 5 Door hatch base, with the 4 in-door speakers... I've read somewhere that I can just drop in the JL-Audio C2-650X speakers, and call it a day... Is this true? Because if it's not, I need to return them ASAP!!!

I've got just about 2.5K on this bad boy, and it's been about 1 month!

P.S. this is my work vehicle, for a company that I own!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anybody? what's a good speaker size?

not to sure on what size it is but i just replaced my speakers on my 03 and i used crutchfield.com they will ask for your make and model and year and it will tell you what size u can fit and exactly which speakers will fit and wont and if u give them a call they can tell u also .....
    No Fat H00$ car will scrape!!

Quote Originally Posted by subbi03wrx View Post
    not to sure on what size it is but i just replaced my speakers on my 03 and i used crutchfield.com they will ask for your make and model and year and it will tell you what size u can fit and exactly which speakers will fit and wont and if u give them a call they can tell u also .....
    +1 crutchfield rocks just type in your car and it will only show results that fit
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

crutchfield says it doesn't fit but then they said it was 6.75" rather than 6.5" so I think I need to return the speakers

when u type in ur car go to the page that shows all the speakers and look up the size it shows for ur year and it will tell u if it fits cuz some wont due to a big magnet or tweeter sticking out ...

here is the link to what exactly will fit ur car http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html ....... and the ones u have dont fit due to the size of the magnet if u were to put them on your window wouldnt roll down all the way without hitting the speaker .......

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I'd return them. A few tips...

I'd suggest replacing the factory head unit first. Not sure what the rules on the whole "work vehicle" are, however. You'll probably hear a better increase with a head unit than just replacing the speakers.

I'd really recommend replacing both at the same time if you can, they can be separated, but it will sound significantly better after both hu and speakers are replaced.

I would bag the JL's - for the price of them you can find a good deal on a half decent hu and a pair of mid level speakers that will sound significantly better than the stock hu on the JLs... just my opinion though. I like JLs and all, but they are wayyy over priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

yeah the work vehicle is not an issue... I'm just using work to pay for the vehicle as long as I put some decals with my work name on it (for advertising).

Okay, so I don't know where I saw that the JL audio will fit, but I remember reading about it a couple weeks back, and people said it was a direct fit. But I should've trust crutchfield more!

Anyways, I actually kind of like the head unit (for looks), but if it's the head unit producing really sub-par sounds, and the OEM speakers are actually quite capable, then I'll switch the HU out. I'm not really an audiophile, but I can tell that the sound really sucks... This is coming from a 99 Mazda Protege OEM and a 07 Eclipse OEM. This has got to be one of the worse sounding sound systems I've heard, from the factory!

Anyways, I thought maybe giving them some decent speakers will do MUCH MUCH better...

I Support ClubWRX
    Can't speak from first hand experiences with soobies...

But, 9 times out of 10, the speakers are paired with the hu. The hu is "tuned" for the car model and to work with the speakers specifically. Normally in my experiences even when people keep it easy on the audio system, they blow the stock speakers out (Delco's in particular) quickly with an aftermarket hu. On the same note, the after market speakers are meant for the hu normally.

That being said, I'm pretty picky with audio. Replacing one or the other drives my OCD up a wall and just shows how crappy the one is that I didn't replace is.

If you aren't looking for anything too big, I'd replace the hu first. Shortly followed by front speakers. If you have any rattle, get some dynomat or research some cheaper off brands and throw some in the doors while you are doing that. Makes a big difference but isn't cheap.

Past that, which isn't as big of a step as it seems, you are looking into running amps, which should be a consideration when buying a head unit - find one with <=2 pre-out sets in case you decide to expand later. Audio is strangely addicting.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Why do people rely so heavily on Crutchfield? According to their guide NONE of my speakers fit. Granted I have spacers in the front, and cut out the deck mounts, but it's obviously made to mount speakers there. And 5 1/4"s will drop right in to the rear doors when according to Crutchfield you can only mount 4"s there.

This is on an 02.. I'm not sure what's different in the newer models. But if I were you I'd go ahead and buy some spacers for the front so you can mount better speakers. If you're spending cash on a new stereo system it doesn't make sense to limit your selection because you don't want to pay $10 for spacers.

I'm fine with purchasing spacers, if that's all I really needed... But I don't really want to cut into the door panel too much, in fact, I want to leave it completely factory...

The head unit will probably not be replaced, but if that's not going to do any changes to the sound quality, then I might as well live with the factory sound. Heck, even though I hate it, I'll learn to live with it

But if the speakers will give me a bit of better SQ, then it'll be worth it for me

I Support ClubWRX
    They'll still help probably, but I'd wait and see if anybody has some first hand experience. Maybe search around for speaker replacement and see if anybody is in a similar boat.
    2011 STi Build Log

quick question: (nothing to do with the topic)

why do people throw a sideways peace sign when I drive by them, when they're in another subaru?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    quick question: (nothing to do with the topic)

why do people throw a sideways peace sign when I drive by them, when they're in another subaru?
    it's subie code. whenever you see another one you're supposed to either wave, flash your lights, throw a peace sign, etc.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast