Child Safety Windows
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Child Safety Windows within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A friend called Subaru to ask if the back window thing can be changed so the window goes all the ...

Banned

Child Safety Windows

A friend called Subaru to ask if the back window thing can be changed so the window goes all the way down like in her 2000 Jeep Cherokee and they said no. I told her that's ridiculous, how could that be?

Is there a way to change it, maybe by opening the door and fixing it so it rolls all the way down?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No, that's how they are.
    Pretty sure its the same on every pillar-less Subaru.

If you did "fix" it, where is the glass going to go?
    The doors have a decent size cut out for the rear guards, that's why the glass tilts.

Banned
    I'm confused about the glass tilting part. If it tilts it can't go all the way down?

Why do some cars have that "feature" and other cars like the Cherokee have windows that go all the way down? For back seat passengers it's annoying to not be able to put the window all the way down.

I Support ClubWRX
    this "child safety glass" is just a scam the salesman have come up with. The rear door is cut up at the bottom to allow for the wheel well, because of that the rear window cannot roll down any further into the door. Think about it, with the window rolled all the way down in the rear even an average sized human can enter/exit through the rear window.. How is that going to prevent a child?

The actual only child safety feature is the door handle disabler and the drivers master window switch.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

It doesn't go all the way down.
    The glass tilts the rear lower corner backwards, and the front upper corner forwards so it ends up sitting at an angle inside the door.
    It cannot go all the way down due to the shape of the doors and the rear guards.

Some cars are also the size of tanks, some run on diesel, some can do 400km/hr...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjimmy View Post
    It doesn't go all the way down.
    The glass tilts the rear lower corner backwards, and the front upper corner forwards so it ends up sitting at an angle inside the door.
    It cannot go all the way down due to the shape of the doors and the rear guards.

Some cars are also the size of tanks, some run on diesel, some can do 400km/hr...
    wut?

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    wut?
    The bit about tanks etc?
    The OP said "some cars windows go all the way down", I was saying how some cars are like tanks, diesels etc...

Banned
    Okay, well does it go down all the way in the Forester? That's bigger than a Cherokee as far as I can tell and has a similar box shape to it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    Okay, well does it go down all the way in the Forester? That's bigger than a Cherokee as far as I can tell and has a similar box shape to it.
    Most any vehicle that has a cut out for the wheel well into the rear door will have the same results.

This is really a stupid ****ing issue to be upset about. In all honesty it helps with cabin buffeting and is partially designed that way. My quad cab 06 dodge dakota had rear windows that rolled all the way down and you couldnt do over 40 with them rolled down or the buffeting would literally shake you stupid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    My quad cab 06 dodge dakota had rear windows that rolled all the way down and you couldnt do over 40 with them rolled down or the buffeting would literally shake you stupid.
    I don't think there's any reason to get upset by the question, but why couldn't your Dakota? I've been in the Jeep with the back windows down doing 70 on the highway with no problem.

I'm also not sure what you mean by buffeting. Sounds like one who listens to Jimmy Buffet does. lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think there's any reason to get upset by the question, but why couldn't your Dakota? I've been in the Jeep with the back windows down doing 70 on the highway with no problem.

I'm also not sure what you mean by buffeting. Sounds like one who listens to Jimmy Buffet does. lol

The jeep wont have that much of an issue because you will have a little distance between the rear window and the rear windows, in a hatchback or sedan you will have an issue with buffeting.

It is a vibration caused by turbulence.

Banned
    I have noticed the car is less fun to drive fast with all 4 windows down...

I Support ClubWRX
    because the aerodynamics are off with windows down.

Banned
    How do convertibles do it? Is it lacking a roof altogether at that point that allows it to handle properly? I was thinking about a convertible WRX today...wonder if anyone made one yet.

"This is really a stupid ****ing issue to be upset about."
    +1

How do convertibles do it? Is it lacking a roof altogether at that point that allows it to handle properly?
    Convertibles have handling problems due to the lack of B and C pillars (google them if you don't know). That makes them less rigid and more prone to body roll. Sedans and coupes, historically have been MUCH better at cornering. Today though, engineering in convertibles has done wonders for that.

I was thinking about a convertible WRX today...wonder if anyone made one yet.
    NO. That would be stupid.

EDIT: I'm sorry. One person has. http://image20.webshots.com/21/7/43/...6oWWJld_fs.jpg

However. I do stand firm on the idea that it is stupid.
    Last edited by erksplee; 05-19-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Correcting myself

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast