Trim Help!

This is a discussion on Trim Help! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I decided to paint my trim and it went very bad! So I need to order new trim for ...

Trim Help!

So I decided to paint my trim and it went very bad! So I need to order new trim for around the climate control and the side vents and the cupholder/center vents. I'm looking at japanparts.com and have come across what I think I need but its so hard to understand if you are ordering the right part. I have a 2003 WRX. Here are the part numbers from japanparts.com:

Subaru: JDM PANEL SIDE AIR VENT 153-033-001
    Subaru: 66065E PANEL AUDIO

Subaru: 66065O PANEL CENTER (AIR VENTS) {Not sure about ths one... }

Please help me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why not just sand it down and paint it again? Patience is the key with spraying paint, I painted my interior trim this weekend in less than 24 hours, using the steps below.

1. Wet sand trim with 400 grit sand paper to scuff the surface and remove all of the shine, you may need to use a coarser grit like 220 to remove the bad paint.

2. Thoroughly clean the surfaces using soapy water (dish detergent), air dry

3. Lay the parts out to paint, sometimes it is best to hang them from some string so that dust won't settle on the paint

4. Spray with light coats of automotive primer, allow approx. 15 minutes between coats. I shot 3-4 coats, just enough to cover all of the surfaces. Let the parts dry, should take approx an hour or 2.

5. Optional - wet sand primer with 600 grit sandpaper. Be careful not to sand too close to the edges and remove the primer! Clean with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

6. Spray with lacquer based paint such as automotive paint, or krylon. These are fast drying paints, not oil based which take forever to dry. Shoot a light coat first, do not try to cover all of the primer on the first coat. I used somewhere between 5-7 light coats, approx 15min - 1 hr between coats. Let the paint fully dry for 6+ hours

7. Optional - wet sand primer with 600 or 800 grit sandpaper. Be careful not to sand too close to the edges and remove the paint! Clean with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

8. Shoot a few coats of automotive clear coat for durability and a good finish. Again, the first coat should be very light, followed by 3-4 more light coats approx. 15 minute intervals.

9. Let the paint cure for at least 6-8 hours before re-installing the parts.

DO NOT use armor all, or other greasy interior cleaners on the parts, the finish is now more similar to automotive paint, and a wipedown with a damp cloth is all that is required to clean the pieces.

I did this process this weekend, and can assure you that the results were spectacular. I only wet sanded the pieces after they were painted, not after the primer. Some people also sand between coats of paint/clear, but I don't think this is necessary.

Good luck, try it again and you will get it, I have wasted a lot of time trying to paint things before I have gotten it right.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr