Instrument cluster lighting not working.....

This is a discussion on Instrument cluster lighting not working..... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so half of my instrument cluster is lit up, but the other half is not, mainly just the rpm ...

Instrument cluster lighting not working.....

Ok so half of my instrument cluster is lit up, but the other half is not, mainly just the rpm gauge and needle. Sometimes if I smack the top of the dash it flickers on, and may stay on for a while. Turn the car off, then on and what a suprise, not working. I really don't want to take apart the dash just to check if the wiring is loose unless I was doing some modification. Could it be the fuse? but if it was the fuse wouldn't the whole thing turn off? Its kinda neat in a way because when the I hit about 5-6k rpm's the needle lights up from the other lights on the speed gauge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crue313 View Post
    I really don't want to take apart the dash just to check if the wiring is loose unless I was doing some modification.
    Either a connector, a bulb fitting or a bulb. I'd come to terms with the idea of taking the cluster off...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

damn. thats what I was afraid of. I'm sure there is a DIY on here some where. I'll have to look it up. While I'm at it I might change the gauge colors.

I Support ClubWRX
    Removing the cluster is trivial. Changing colours is not. To remove the cluster lower the steering wheel fully, remove the screws (see the cluster shroud), then pivot the cluster toward you. If it doesn't move, go back and find more screws. There are three harness clips holding it; they connect to the top of the cluster and there's a thin clip on each side, with a thick clip in the middle. Check those, and check the bulbs around the tach (there are two up top with dark housings, on below, and one toward the edge, over what would be the redline region of the tach, with a green housing with a dab of yellow paint on it). The behaviour you are describing is more consistent with a contact problem than some sort of bulb filament issue though, so be thorough when you check the wiring and connectors.

There are definitely how-to threads for swaps from yellow to blue or whatever, but it's not something I'd do voluntarily.

Good luck.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-06-2010 at 12:40 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

well that does sound a fairly easy to take out. I'm really need to get this taken care of, its really bugging me.