weight reduction help

This is a discussion on weight reduction help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking to drop some weight in my 04 WRX.. i take the spare out when im at the track... use ...

Banned

weight reduction help

Looking to drop some weight in my 04 WRX.. i take the spare out when im at the track... use my radio.. its a DD so im not gutting it but want to drop some free weight.. not wanting to spends hundreds on carbon fiber... any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you need a/c where you live? I pulled 120 lbs out of an s14 by deleting the a/c (and all related accessories).
    Wagons Rule!

Banned
    yeah i use A/c.. gets pretty warm in the summers.

well that about sums it up then if you can't even go without a/c then you are left with only 1 option as far as I can tell and that is buy some really light weight wheels and get some 2 piece slotted cross drilled rotors with aluminum hats. so you can cut down on rotating mass instead of dead weight. it is call sprung weight vs unsprung weight. if you were to lose about 8lbs of sprung weight it is the same as removing 100 lbs of unsprung weight. so basically if you were to save lets say 16 lbs of weight from all 4 wheels and all 4 rotors then that would be the same thing as removing 200 lbs of dead weight in your car.

hope that helps-
    bobby
    Last edited by PREracing; 03-11-2010 at 05:21 PM.
    bobby@preracing.com
    Performance Race Engineering
    503-619-0055

preracing.com
    Follow us on Twitter
    Friend us on MySpace

^^+1. Lightened crank pulley, too. GFB or kartboy without any CEL issues.
    Wagons Rule!

Banned
    i got wheels off of an '06 but i dont think they are really any lighter... and i probably will get the lightweight pulley... ive been reading a bit about them... i pulled a bar from under my back seat seemed to weigh around 10-15 pounds... not alot

Banned
    im also thinking of pulling the sub... when i got the car it had the upgraded package with the sound system with a sub under the passenger seat

That sub is pretty useless in my experience, needless weight, if not but 8lbs of it.