Carputer

This is a discussion on Carputer within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So who has installed a car computer? Im tossing the idea around... I would love to run something like centrafuse... ...

Carputer

So who has installed a car computer? Im tossing the idea around... I would love to run something like centrafuse... Do a smalll 200 gig for mostly music and maybe some avi's for those long road trips..

anyone put one together or know of any tutorials that I could browse through to get a good starting point?

Preferably a tutorial done on an 08+ impreza but Im not that picky...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Try this

Well through some searching I found this.
    Car PC, 12V Vehicle Computers, the makers of VoomPC
    the very top unit is definitely your best option. Unless you have an ITX intel atom setup lying around it's a great deal, I'd say get the standard processor, 2gb RAM, standard PSU, 160gb HDD, and the sony slim DVD drive. Everything completely upgraded comes out to $406. After that you'd just need to find an LCD screen that you like. The whole setup shouldn't be too hard to manage. They have a nice LCD screen on the same site. If you'd like to do a more traditional PC setup with a laptop or something of that nature there are many articles explaining it. Your question really got me searching and personally I think the option listed above is the best option by far, due to the EXTREMELY low power consumption and ease of use. I'm extremely tempted to that exact setup in mine.

I'm a computer tech, so if you need anymore help feel free to PM me.

I find myself looking more and more into the whole setup and I'd suggest getting a flash drive to load the OS on, you can also install centrafuse on the flash drive(it's a very small program) You would see a sick sick response time from the system.

I can't stop adding to this
    I'm sold, the carputer will be my first upgrade other than the sound system. thanks for the inspiration man.
    Last edited by Trent; 02-23-2010 at 12:23 AM.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Well through some searching I found this.
    Car PC, 12V Vehicle Computers, the makers of VoomPC
    the very top unit is definitely your best option. Unless you have an ITX intel atom setup lying around it's a great deal, I'd say get the standard processor, 2gb RAM, standard PSU, 160gb HDD, and the sony slim DVD drive. Everything completely upgraded comes out to $406. After that you'd just need to find an LCD screen that you like. The whole setup shouldn't be too hard to manage. They have a nice LCD screen on the same site. If you'd like to do a more traditional PC setup with a laptop or something of that nature there are many articles explaining it. Your question really got me searching and personally I think the option listed above is the best option by far, due to the EXTREMELY low power consumption and ease of use. I'm extremely tempted to that exact setup in mine.

I'm a computer tech, so if you need anymore help feel free to PM me.

I find myself looking more and more into the whole setup and I'd suggest getting a flash drive to load the OS on, you can also install centrafuse on the flash drive(it's a very small program) You would see a sick sick response time from the system.

I can't stop adding to this
    I'm sold, the carputer will be my first upgrade other than the sound system. thanks for the inspiration man.
    Eh...not really worth it IMO. You sacrafice a lot of sound quality when you build a PC into your car. Now you're interfacing something designed to be in a home into your car. It really depends on what you're going for by installing a carputer.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sound quality in a car like the WRX is compromised from day 1..if it was a super quiet interior, it would be different.

I had a PC in my first WRX based around the mini-ITX mobo and a 12V PS, in a homebrewed enclosure under the passenger seat.

Thread was here, though the pics have long since been removed from the host.

Honestly, my double din Alpine does everything I need at this point..I can't see myself going to the trouble anymore.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Eh...not really worth it IMO. You sacrafice a lot of sound quality when you build a PC into your car. Now you're interfacing something designed to be in a home into your car. It really depends on what you're going for by installing a carputer.
    Not sure exactly what you mean by sacrificing sound.

I'm a computer hardware guy, so about a year and a half ago I looked into this. After a few weeks of research, I came to the conclusion that there were too many factors going against it (space, power, boot-up/shut-down times, building a mount or housing for the LCD, software was a bit sketchy at the time, and most importantly, heat).

I finally ended up settling on a cheap Chinese double-din unit with a 7" touch-screen. The mounts were pretty much perfect, but it was a bit too large for the big double-din hole in the pretty plastic, so a friend routered that to perfection.

I didn't really like the GPS software that came with it, so I did a little hacking with the files on the SD card, and had IGO8 up and running. It's a little too dark at times (in direct sunlight), but other than that, it's remarkable that it can do pretty much everything I was looking for. I can also fit up to 8 DivX encoded movies on a single sided DVD, and it plays them remarkably well.

The only real negative is that it doesn't handle DVD's with truckloads of mp3 files on them - it plays them fine, but it doesn't sort well or do playlists. I finally came to the conclusion that this one negative could be easily overcome by simply plugging in the iPod or mp3 phone.

Not bad for $500. Knowing this went so well, I would never do a PC in the car at this point - just too much fooling around. If you do choose to go the route of the car PC, please blow a little coin on an SSD hard drive rather than a conventional spinner.

I'll add this - it really cleaned up/simplified the dash of the car, and came out looking pretty classy.
    Last edited by KryptoNyte; 03-01-2010 at 05:45 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I found an Alpine double-din touchscreen unit on eBay for $500'ish, with iPod adapter, and never looked back. It has the ability to interface with Alpine's nav module, but I have a Garmin, so it would be redundant. Everything I need.

I used to have a thing about filling my car full of gadgets, and wouldn't be happy 'til the driver's side resembled the ****pit of a jetliner. I'm more into clean and functional, now.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon