08+ footwell illumination kit.. oppinions? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Footwell illumination what color?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue footwell and OEM blue cubby

20 35.09%
  • Red with changing cubby to red LED

22 38.60%
  • Dont waste your money

11 19.30%
  • Other- please explain in your post

4 7.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on 08+ footwell illumination kit.. oppinions? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; More my style minus the wagon... Love the bikes......

More my style minus the wagon... Love the bikes...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Didnt mean to hijack your thread -- I just like showing pics of the bikes

I personally don't find the footwell illumination kits to be "all that".

HOWEVER at $40, it's surprisingly cheap for a Subaru accessory, and if it's something that pleases you then by all means, go for it!

I like red as the "accent color" on my DGM WRX. I would go with red if I were to get this accessory. In fact, after checking out the price of this, I may actually do it.

I say, either one would look nice. All red to match the rest of the interior would be cool, and blue would be nice to break up the interior colors. If you do go red, I'd suggest changing that tray bulb to red to match everything.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    I just like showing pics of the bikes .
    Here is a good pic of the illumination kit... from the outside... next to a vfr...

The VTX is really nice. My dad has a 2006, 1300, the dark purple color.

^ no hijack at all i love bikes... I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger on the blue... Got it for a great price at $28 free shipping. Ill probably draw up a DIY thread for it even though it looks like a pretty strait forward install..

I was on the fence with red... But to much red and I think the car would look like a submarine... Although at night red is the best since it does not bleach out the chemical in your eyes that induces night vision. Which is why red is used in tactical situations at night (IE interior cruiser lights) Blue has close to the same effect but is used more for spotting blood and tracking lol...

EDIT: i love the single swing arms in the back
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    Which is why red is used in tactical situations at night (IE interior cruiser lights) ..
    I chose red because I always like to keep my stuff "Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by msedbaue View Post
    I chose red because I always like to keep my stuff "Tactical"
    you mean "tacticool" right?

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

absolutely haha

little advice on the install...

The harness is sort of big to be pushed through that little hole easily, so what I did was run some smaller wire (i had some speaker wire lying around) to where the harness was suppose to go. I did this on both sides. I then electrical taped the ends of the harnes (with the plugs.. duh) to the wire and pulled the harness through using the wire. Sort of like pulling wire through some conduit. Its much easier to pull than push!

Good Luck!

Yeah im sure i can figure it out... I looked around looks like maybe 15-20 minutes forth of time 30-45 if im anal retentive about everything..

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

Great, thanks for all the talk of the footwell illumination kit. Now I have to get one.

msedbaue, post up some pics in the motorcycle forum if you haven't yet!

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/motorcycle-discussion/
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Well if it does what I hope it will do; the wrx will have a nice mood/luxury lighting feel up front.

I think you should pull the trigger on it... I do like how the sti floor illumination dims with the dome. What I would really like is the lights to come on when the doors are unlocked and dim down with the dome light. That is until the head lights are turned on; then I want them adjusted with the illumination on the dash... I havent payed much attention to it but i dont thinkt he cubby light is linked at all to the dome lights..

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

If a person wanted to they could wire the power from a different circuit. It would be a little more work but it certainly could be done.

Yeah but i dont understand how it could be done and keep the dome and the cubby separate. The way I see it getting wired would cause the cubby to light and dim with the dome and then the dome light to be on when the cubby is. IE at night you turn on your headlights and blam on comes your dome light also....

You would need a 1 way circuit and I do not know how that would be done... I can simple wiring but haven't done anything like that.

I would like to do it but the furthest i was going to take it is maybe take some resistors in line to dim the LED's down a little. I do wanna see how bright they are out of the box first though.

Any idea's how to make the wire to both dome and cubby with out them effecting each other? So the floor lights come on when i unlock or open the door?

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

There are a few ways that this could be accomplished. I am not 100% sure on the actual circuitry but here is an example. (Keep in mind this is just thinking on the fly)

You have two power sources hooked up to your lights in parallel. One being the power from the cubbie hole and the other coming from the dome light. You could then use a diode in series with the power (+) terminal coming from the dome light. This would prevent any backflow when the cubbie light is on, but still allow current to get to the leds when the dome light is on.

That would work but are diodes 100% one way? because any bleed off and that dome light would flicker and at night that would suck...

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.