08+ footwell illumination kit.. oppinions? - Page 10

View Poll Results: Footwell illumination what color?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue footwell and OEM blue cubby

20 35.09%
  • Red with changing cubby to red LED

22 38.60%
  • Dont waste your money

11 19.30%
  • Other- please explain in your post

4 7.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on 08+ footwell illumination kit.. oppinions? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ah, yeah that makes sense.. I've got long fingers so wasn't hard for me to kinda reach in there with ...

ah, yeah that makes sense.. I've got long fingers so wasn't hard for me to kinda reach in there with the tips of my nubs and push the wires to where I wanted em. I wired mine like the directions stated to. That way I can control them with the dimmer.
    Last edited by mangostick; 03-29-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does the kit come with instructions? Or is there a How-To anywhere? Don't really want to start tearing my dash apart to do this without some sort of guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by TrboWRX View Post
    Does the kit come with instructions? Or is there a How-To anywhere? Don't really want to start tearing my dash apart to do this without some sort of guidance.
    Yeah it comes with directions and you dont really need to tear your dash apart. This post is long but there is some pretty good advice mixed in here and there. I fed a string through first then pulled the harness to where it needed to be. Should take about 30 min if you dont know what your doing. haha.

Also, dont expect to be visible in the daylight, or even really that bright at night.

All in all I enjoy it. Very nice effect.
    2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR
    1998 Red(ish) Regal GSX, Stage 3 Supercharged (SOLD)
    1991 Red K5 Blazer (SOLD)

Hey guys,
    Don't know whether this thread is dead or what, but I thought I would try my luck.
    Saw this accessory, and was reading up on it a bit obviously, as mentioned a few times in this thread, because of the nice price.
    Problem is, I have a '99 Impreza RX.. I was wondering if by any chance you guys knew if this would fit in my model?
    Or whether it actually sticks by the models that it specifies..?

Cheers in advance.

well, of course it'll fit.. It just wont be plug n play like it is with the newer cars. I'm sure the connectors and other odds/ends have changed over the years.

You'll have to find the power source for your dash lights (or any feed that dims with the dash lights) and tap into that.. then wire accordingly. You can also wire them straight too.. but they'll be kinda bright. Either way if you want to spend a lil time n effort anything can be made to work. If you're ok with wiring, this will be cake.

You can also check out www.superbrightleds.com and see what they have available. I've used a few of their products and never had any trouble with them.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Right, so in order to 'tap into' the power source for the dash lights.. how would I go about this? I'm very new to wiring in the car.. can anybody here guide me a bit, or link me to a guide? I just wouldn't know what to do, frankly.
    And yes, willing to put the time and effort in, but now it's just a case of whether or not I'm actually capable..

Cheers.

If you buy the kit it comes with a connector. Its not really tapping into the power supply. Its very easy.

Tapping mean splicing... No cutting or stripping tools required.
    2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR

Oh ok, but the connector, would that be compatible with my model?

Quote Originally Posted by Rettix View Post
    Oh ok, but the connector, would that be compatible with my model?
    Sorry I guess I didnt read further up the thread. You actually probably would have to splice the wires. The connector probably wouldnt be the same.
    2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR

Right, and how difficult do you think this would prove to be for a newbie?
    Are there any guides than a can be linked to or told of that could help me out??

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rettix View Post
    Right, and how difficult do you think this would prove to be for a newbie?
    Are there any guides than a can be linked to or told of that could help me out??

Cheers.
    Do you have any experience with this kind of thing? Do you have the right tools? Wire stipper, electrical tape, a multimeter would probably be helpful.
    2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR

Sorry for slow reply.

No, no experience. Hence the need for a guide or something..

I don't think I have access to a multimeter.. could have a search around though.. is it vital?
    The rest is all good though.

Arrow led question

Hey all sorry for bringing up an old thread,

but this looks like a good mod. I haven't gotten the illumination kit but for $40 it seems very appealing.

My question is what are the specs for the cubby light LED so that I can switch it out with a red one or does it not matter? 3mm, 5mm, 3 volts, 5 volts?

Thanks.

JT7
    The swapped red led in the console cubby is a subaru part.

Part Number: 66237SA020

like $14.00.

Not sure of the voltage if you roll your own.
    2010 Obsidian Black 5 Door
    - Stink Eye Mob #190

Ohh this is good, very good. You just saved me a lot of trouble and headache. I looked through this thread and people were swapping out the cubby light and mangostick suggested superbrightleds.com so I thought that's how everyone was swapping it out.

I found it here and it's $12.89 but they want $10 for shipping so I'll contact my local dealership and see if they have it in stock.

Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.