wiring a new head unit
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on wiring a new head unit within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I'm a complete DIY newb. I am trying to install an aftermarket head unit on my '10 WRX. I've ...

wiring a new head unit

Hello,

I'm a complete DIY newb. I am trying to install an aftermarket head unit on my '10 WRX. I've gone through all the threads here and in NASIOC. They all assume that you know how to do wiring. What is the proper technique to connect the little colored wires from the head unit to the adapter? Do I just cut those cables, twist them together, and tape them? I don't want to create an unsafe mess. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ultimately you want to solder them to ensure a quality connection. Spade connectors can be used.

Don't just twist the wires together.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

after solder use heat shrink wrap around it to insure no shorts and for a clean look

for the sake of giving your self a headace, get a wiring kit for your car and do not cut the stock harness out.

you can solder, thats the best and most secure way.. OR you can use butt connectors with the proper crimping tool. One that will not release until you've put enough pressure on the crimp to have a solid connection. Here is a pic of what I made for my 2010.. now you dont have to get molex connectors and go this complicated.. but if you ever want to put that new head unit into another car it makes things easier.

What I did here was add a 20pin molex connector between the Pioneer harness and the adapter harness to connect to the factory car wiring. This way its all plug and play.

the color coding between the scosche adapter harness and the new head unit wiring should be the same. switch power is red, constant power is yellow, ground is black.. front speakers are white and grey, rears are green n purple. Pay attention to the stripes as they have to match or your left will be right etc. If you haven't gotten the adapter harness to connect to your factory wiring, get one. It makes things much easier. It sounds like you already got one of those though
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.