Massive Overhaul HELP NEEDED!!

This is a discussion on Massive Overhaul HELP NEEDED!! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I have recently decided to pour a bunch of money into my 05 WRX Wagon and need some ...

PdP

Massive Overhaul HELP NEEDED!!

Hey all,
    I have recently decided to pour a bunch of money into my 05 WRX Wagon and need some advice on how best to spend the money. I almost got rid of the car because it is auto but decided that it will still more then meet my needs for the next several years. I am not into the tuning scene, and performance in snow and long distance travel are my top priorities. I know I need new tires, brakes, pads, and maybe shocks. I would also like to put in a video head unit (assuming i can hack it to play dvds while driving), maybe add some speakers, and rims. What do you guys think? Am I nuts to invest in an auto WRX? The tires, brakes, and shocks are the top priority... but after that where would you go with this project? I am in the armed forces and taking my time doing mods doesn't bother me.. Plus I can get alot of the stuff I need tax free Looking forward to hearing your opinions and advice.
    Schep
    05 WRX Sport Wagon San Remo Red
    Blob EyE Syndicate #2020

JVC Mobile Turn Me On video now available on Heavy
    Has anyone seen O-P-P? We were all down with him but last time I saw him he was begging for change at 7-11

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

PdP

btw

ohh yea I already have a JVC head unit in the car that they gave me a few years ago... It works fine but I would like to have something alittle more "fun" in there.

I found this @ crutch which seems like a solid place to buy.
    Kenwood DDX514 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com
    Schep
    Blob EyE Syndicate #2020

Has anyone seen O-P-P? We were all down with him but last time I saw him he was begging for change at 7-11

I Support ClubWRX
    What you have described doing doesnt exactly scream POURRING MONEY... It sounds more like smart routine maintenance. Personally get a good set of struts like tokico or kyb non adjustable. If you want to lower it a little to handle a bit better pick up a set of sti pinks or go with the eibach pro kit. As far as braking goes, to do a little better stopping id recommend the H6 Rear brake setup which is the caliper mounting bracket and rear rotors off of an H6 Legacy or outback. Choose some hawk brake pads, set of stainless steel brake lines and some dot4 fluid and itll stop a heck of a lot better. As for the rest of it, slap some new spark plugs in, change the fuel filter and all the fluids and drive the heck out of it.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

PdP
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    What you have described doing doesnt exactly scream POURRING MONEY... It sounds more like smart routine maintenance. Personally get a good set of struts like tokico or kyb non adjustable. If you want to lower it a little to handle a bit better pick up a set of sti pinks or go with the eibach pro kit. As far as braking goes, to do a little better stopping id recommend the H6 Rear brake setup which is the caliper mounting bracket and rear rotors off of an H6 Legacy or outback. Choose some hawk brake pads, set of stainless steel brake lines and some dot4 fluid and itll stop a heck of a lot better. As for the rest of it, slap some new spark plugs in, change the fuel filter and all the fluids and drive the heck out of it.
    I don't want to lower the car since I mostly got the car for mountain access and use it for some off roading... Not Baja style but still more then most people would prob take their car on. Still struts? or shocks? Whats the big difference?
    Schep
    Blob EyE Syndicate #2020

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car doesnt have shocks.. They are struts.

PdP

Red face i am retarded

wow... thats embarrassing. Thanks. I guess thats what this site is for right? Any thoughts on tires/rims/interior?
    Schep
    Blob EyE Syndicate #2020

I Support ClubWRX
    No worries man. Most people dont know the difference between shocks or struts.

To be honest with you, if your not going to lower the car my personal opinion is to leave the wheels alone. If you are more off road with the car the 16s have a great sidewall and you wont have to worry about bending a wheel with a smaller sidewall. You could go with an sti 17" rim if you wanted too, since it is technically an oem wheel it doesnt look bad if the car isnt lowered. Get a good grippy set of tires in the oem size and some good struts and you will see a nice improvement in handling. You could also get some new sway bars and endlinks to make it a little better as well if you wanted.