Need Help! 2009 WRX Boost Guage Install
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need Help! 2009 WRX Boost Guage Install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Trying to install a Omori Boost guage and i'm stuck on what I thought would be the easiest part. I'm ...

Need Help! 2009 WRX Boost Guage Install

Trying to install a Omori Boost guage and i'm stuck on what I thought would be the easiest part. I'm just trying to fish the wire from under the hood to inside the cabin. I removed my intercooler and the rubber grommet behind it. I'm using a coat hanger with a slight bend in it, trying to fish it down and to the right with no luck. I can get it a good 8-10 inches through the grommet but I can't see the coathanger anywhere near my accellerator pedal. Not sure if it's getting stuck under the gray carpet mush or what. If my head was made out of rubber maybe I could squeeze under there and get a better look so see what the hangup is...

Anyhow anyone that has any advice I'd appreciate it! I'm using the maddad instructions as a guide but its for an STI so maybe something is different?
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Trying to install a Omori Boost guage and i'm stuck on what I thought would be the easiest part. I'm just trying to fish the wire from under the hood to inside the cabin. I removed my intercooler and the rubber grommet behind it. I'm using a coat hanger with a slight bend in it, trying to fish it down and to the right with no luck. I can get it a good 8-10 inches through the grommet but I can't see the coathanger anywhere near my accellerator pedal. Not sure if it's getting stuck under the gray carpet mush or what. If my head was made out of rubber maybe I could squeeze under there and get a better look so see what the hangup is...

Anyhow anyone that has any advice I'd appreciate it! I'm using the maddad instructions as a guide but its for an STI so maybe something is different?
    YouTube - Mighty Car Mods EP7 How To Install Boost Gauge DIY
    might help+++
    ***Stink Eye Mob 169***
    Stage 2 WRX Tuned by Brendan at Brentuning
    296 awhp
    317 awtq

Thanks for the reply! It took 3 coat hangers but I finally got my wires through!

Ok, now I'm trying to figure out how to wire up the dimmer, the gauge is an Omori and I purchased the optional dimmer. The instructioons say to connect the red wire to the "headlight circuit". Does anyone know what wire I need? it is one on the cluster dimmer itself? there's like 6 wires on the back of the switch.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

search google for a wiring guide to your model year wrx
    ***Stink Eye Mob 169***
    Stage 2 WRX Tuned by Brendan at Brentuning
    296 awhp
    317 awtq

Ok, I emailed J-Spec tuning where I bought the guage, the responded right away and let me know that the dimmer module is not adjustable. It just kicks down the voltage a bit to match the dash better, so it can be wired into the headlight illumination fuse 16 or elsewhere so it's always on. So I have it all done now, I really like it! I especially like the mount they supplied. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a little pink during the day, at night it's pretty close to the rest of the dash. It also does the sweep when its powered up, however it's about 10x slower then the rest of the gauges. Gauge seems accurate, my boost is topping out around 14-15 psi. If I was to do it over again, I would probably shell out some extra dough for the guage I had in my old STI. I had a SPA Design red digital boost guage, it was really sweet, fully adjustable, but kinda pricey. The Omari one will do the job just fine for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gauge2.jpg   Gauge1.jpg   Gauge3.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

How does it mount on the dash? Screws? 3M velcro? Double sided tape?

Looks good

Quote Originally Posted by BigJermWRX View Post
    How does it mount on the dash? Screws? 3M velcro? Double sided tape?

Looks good

Thanks man!

It uses 2 nuts and bolts, I removed the part of the dash that covers the gauges and the guages themselves. I pulled the wires up from behind the guages and made a hole in the cover for the wires and the bolts. It was really easy and looks almost factory
    Last edited by jamie007; 01-01-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Hey one more thing, even with the dimmer accessory from J-Spec the gauge was too bright for me at night. It is about as bright as the stock guages on the brightest or 2nd brightest setting. And since I have it mounted on the dash, it was a little distracting at night. However I went down to Fry's and spent $1.99 on a 10k Ohm linear taper Potentiometer, and now I can dial in the brightness to match the cluster perfectly! I just wired it up between the green wire on the dimmer accessory and the white on the guage. The guage can only be dimmed so much, then the backlight just turns off. But there is actually quite a bit of adjustability, I was really surprised. Now the guage looks a deep red at night. In the day it still looks pink, so I'll probably rig it so the backlight is only on at night. I'm just going to tape it or velcro the pot to the inside of the fuse cover.

*edit* one thing I just noticed, no needle! the light for the needle kicks off before the backlight if it's dimmed too much, urghhh....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gauge5.jpg  
    Last edited by jamie007; 01-01-2010 at 11:09 AM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

i won the ken block west 49 contest and my car looks similar to the one in your pic (life sized)

Just a quick update, I am currently using a 1k potentiometer and it dims it as low as you can without the needle disappearing. The needle isn't as bright as the rest of the guages when dimmed but it works fine for me.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good. I like the location. The only thing I probably would have done different is used velcro or similar to attach it, just in case I wanted to move it.

Perks on the dimmer mod. I don't think there would be any way to remove that whole minimum threshold voltage. Do you know what type of lighting the gauge uses? LED?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Looks good. I like the location. The only thing I probably would have done different is used velcro or similar to attach it, just in case I wanted to move it.

Perks on the dimmer mod. I don't think there would be any way to remove that whole minimum threshold voltage. Do you know what type of lighting the gauge uses? LED?
    Velcro might work but I would imagine it would jiggle while driving and be super annoying. I taped it down at a few different locations before deciding to put it in its permanent location. It uses a LED so you can't dim it too much or it shuts off. I just have my potentiometer taped to the back of the little fuse cover so i can adjust if necessary.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

I Support ClubWRX
    You might be able to just replace the LED with one with a lower voltage drop. Just a thought. Could be a huge pain too. I'm not familiar with how those gauges work at all.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    You might be able to just replace the LED with one with a lower voltage drop. Just a thought. Could be a huge pain too. I'm not familiar with how those gauges work at all.
    You would destroy it in the process, the potentiometer works fine, like I said my needle isn't as bright as I would like but it is totally fine. For the price is a good guage, if you want something "perfect" you would need to spend a lot more.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

I Support ClubWRX
    Fair enough.

You did a lot more work than I would have. In my case I probably would have just stuck tape over it. Forget what the tape is called, it is actually a type of tape used in photography if I remember right. I have a roll of it, and it is a roll of gold in my opinion.

It's similar to scotch tape, but I use it on things like routers/tv power lights and such to dim the LEDs so they aren't so darn bright.

Not the right way to fix it sometimes, but it works surprisingly well.

Kudos, and the install looks real clean =)
    2011 STi Build Log

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.