HID Conversions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on HID Conversions within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thanks for the input. Well to be fair the 0 did include the cost of the install into the vehicle ...

Thanks for the input.

Well to be fair the $370 did include the cost of the install into the vehicle [the kit itself is like $180] . . . However, your point [and photos] are well taken. I definitely see the difference between a simple plug and play setup and "the real deal"

Are either of the cars in the photos yours? If not, are you running factory halogens in your car or did you retrofit (just curious).

Looks like unless I'm willing to go all the way it may not be worth it. . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The tC is mine, and it has an aftermarket plug and play HID kit for the low beams, factory halogen high beams, and Nokya hyper yellow halogen fogs. The Evo is my friends, and it's just the stock HID headlights.

When I test drove the WRX, the OEM headlights seemed to be about the same, if not better, than the HIDs in my tC. Meaning, I'll be doing a retrofit ASAP.
    Last edited by CarbonXe; 01-10-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I'll be saving my pennies for the retrofit treatment. . . no reason to spend $$ to have less lighting than what I have now [I'm not doing this for image or looks I actually want better light output]

I see you're in parsippany -- that's not far from me. Are you planning to use LightWerkz when you're ready to do this or do you have somewhere else in mind? Do you personally know anyone whose used them?

I'm doing the retrofit myself.

I am also looking to do a retrofit on my 08 WRX wagon. I am sourcing TSX clear lens projectors, and I plan on using the DDM tuning Raptor HID Kit, 4500K. I was also told I will need some sort of relay as well? Can someone clarify what this is for and why the ballasts I'm purchasing don't serve that function already? I'm newb at retrofitting so simple terms would be appreciated.

Sorry if I jacked your thread, but I think this info may help you as well as others.
    Straight line you on my Gixxer, and out corner you in my 240...

Quote Originally Posted by StonedLlama View Post
    I am also looking to do a retrofit on my 08 WRX wagon. I am sourcing TSX clear lens projectors, and I plan on using the DDM tuning Raptor HID Kit, 4500K. I was also told I will need some sort of relay as well? Can someone clarify what this is for and why the ballasts I'm purchasing don't serve that function already? I'm newb at retrofitting so simple terms would be appreciated.

Sorry if I jacked your thread, but I think this info may help you as well as others.
    You won't need a relay for 35w on the low beam headlights. If you opt for the 55w, you need a wiring harness relay. If you put them in the fogs, you will also need a wiring harness. But for 35w in the low beams, no relay needed.

Just curious, have you considered going bi-xenon since you'll be putting in HID projectors? In addition to the stock high beams (which are actually pretty nice with better halogen bulbs), a bi-xenon might be nice. Just a thought.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    You won't need a relay for 35w on the low beam headlights. If you opt for the 55w, you need a wiring harness relay. If you put them in the fogs, you will also need a wiring harness. But for 35w in the low beams, no relay needed.

Just curious, have you considered going bi-xenon since you'll be putting in HID projectors? In addition to the stock high beams (which are actually pretty nice with better halogen bulbs), a bi-xenon might be nice. Just a thought.
    Thank you very much for that info. I will be using the DDM 35W Low beam only, so that saves me the relay trouble. I did consider Bi Xenon, but I don't want to complicate this project anymore than I already have. It would be super sick to have double high beams with fogs and lows though! I would have to modify the fogs to stay on with the highs, although Bi Xenon would probably allow that. Rally status!! ROFL
    Straight line you on my Gixxer, and out corner you in my 240...

Quote Originally Posted by StonedLlama View Post
    Thank you very much for that info. I will be using the DDM 35W Low beam only, so that saves me the relay trouble. I did consider Bi Xenon, but I don't want to complicate this project anymore than I already have. It would be super sick to have double high beams with fogs and lows though! I would have to modify the fogs to stay on with the highs, although Bi Xenon would probably allow that. Rally status!! ROFL
    As long as you've got an HID projector in there, it shouldn't be that tough to upgrade to a bi-xenon in the future if you decide you want to. Basically just change a bulb, and run a relay for the high beam trigger..
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

I just picked up a 2010 WRX last night and was looking to put xenon in there. I read through the thread and from what I gathered I shouldn't waste my money on the after market hid conversion kits correct? Where do I find out more about the OEM retrofit?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVilhelm View Post
    I just picked up a 2010 WRX last night and was looking to put xenon in there. I read through the thread and from what I gathered I shouldn't waste my money on the after market hid conversion kits correct? Where do I find out more about the OEM retrofit?
    Lightwerkz.com
    Blackflamecustoms.com
    customheadlightz.com (I think that's what it is)
    hidplanet.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12