shopping around for subs

This is a discussion on shopping around for subs within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just bought my wagon two weeks ago and i want to get some subs in it down the road. ...

shopping around for subs

i just bought my wagon two weeks ago and i want to get some subs in it down the road. my other car has 1-12" kicker L5 with a 350w amp and it does the job. however i am hearing a lot of good things about JL. all i really want is a good quality sounding sub that can produce powerful results without the price and taking up my whole trunk. i was thinking about 1-12" W3 possibly and the amp to handle it. just wondering what everyones input is and what the have and are happy with. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well i cant chime in too much about the jl brand as i have never used them.....
    but i'm currently running a single 10" infinity 1060w in a sealed .7 cu ft enclosure. its running off an infinity 1300a amp so its getting 200w continuous...
    my deck is a middle of the line poineer with i think 4v pre outs so pretty high....
    i've only had the sub in a day so far lol but i had it at half volume on the amp with the bass boost down all the way when i started it up for the first time and i had to turn it down... its a waay more powerful setup than i thought
    i've had 10" subs running off 200watts in my 2 old cars (in total 3 different sets of amps and subs before this one)
    and for some reason this setup is way louder than my old cars and they were all vented, could be the open wagon trunk, could be the higher voltage pre outs, could be the higher sub sesitivity rating, but i'd NEVER need more than this it moves my rear view mirror out of position on the louder booms with the amp turned up half way i actually cant see why anyone would ever want more....
    of course most people dont seem to be able to "tune" sound systems very well (my friends are newbs, whereas i've been into stereos for a good 5years now, even built my own home speakers)

greatest part is i still have like 80-90% of my trunk space, this thing is tiny!!

but who knows maybe i'm weird, some people swear by 4 15"s with 1000 watts rms each...

-Alex

edit: i use a 10" sub rather than 12" because i listen to metal and the slighly smaller lighter driver works better for those real fast songs... for rap and the like a 12" is generally better although imo not needed

i currently run a full JL system in my 09WRX. I am running a 10" W3 in the High Output enclosure from JL and the sound quality is awesome and the output is great. Im sure vthe 12" would give you more bass if not quite as well controlled.

I can throw up some pics if you like.

I have been dealing with JL and selling their products for a number of years and it really is great quality gear.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

can you please post up some pictures? im shopping for a JL w3 too

This may be a bit late but... this is what I have in my 09 sedan.

2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR
    1998 Red(ish) Regal GSX, Stage 3 Supercharged (SOLD)
    1991 Red K5 Blazer (SOLD)