07 STI Limited Interior swap
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 07 STI Limited Interior swap within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I thought I'd start a new thread from the "WRX vs WRX TR" one. So I bit the bullet and ...

07 STI Limited Interior swap

I thought I'd start a new thread from the "WRX vs WRX TR" one.

So I bit the bullet and bought a full interior (minus the dash) from a parted out 2007 STI Limited. Comes with seats, door panels, brackets, and switches.

I always wanted an STI interior in my car, but I thought the Blue/Black would not look right with a red car. So the black leather of the STI limited was my goal. Aftermarket racing seats are out for me. They're made for younger, skinnier individuals

Just waiting for a pallet to show up at my doorstep. The condition is used, of course, with normal wear on the drivers seat and a small dime-sized tear on one of the rear door cards.

I figure there are options to repair leather, right?

The install seems straight forward, with one important thing to keep in mind. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe I must disconnect the neg battery cable and not mess with the seats for 20 secs. Otherwise the airbags in the seats may inflate. Does this sound right?

I'm not sure if the heated seat wiring harness is already in my 07 WRX TR (like the foglamp harness was). That would be great. Otherwise, I'll hope the harness is in the shipment or do some wiring myself.

I'm stoked!
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Vez
    Congratulations!

I don't know the answer to your battery question, but I can't imagine how it would be bad to disconnect the battery anyway since you're working on electrical...

I used to be a manager at a leather store and did some repair. If the tear is at a seam, you would need to pull the two pieces pretty taught to do the repair and this will cause a crink in the flow of the seam. Plus, I wouldn't know how to get it off the seat/door card in the first place (but that's just me.) The most common repair for leather is to put a "patch" of leather under the tear and glue the tear shut using the patch under it to adhere the two halves of the tear. I woud think this wouldn't work for something that gets stressed like a seat but should be fine for a door card. The only other way I know of is to use the patch the same way but instead sew the two haves of the tear to the patch. This would make the repair visable, but strong enough for a seat (if needed).

Use a window screen and condition the crap out of them. Leather is just skin and benefits from the same treatment as our skin does to UV protection and moisturization.
    Last edited by Vez; 11-15-2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    Congratulations!

I don't know the answer to your battery question, but I can't imagine how it would be bad to disconnect the battery anyway since you're working on electrical...

I used to be a manager at a leather store and did some repair. If the tear is at a seam, you would need to pull the two pieces pretty taught to do the repair and this will cause a crink in the flow of the seam. Plus, I wouldn't know how to get it off the seat/door card in the first place (but that's just me.) The most common repair for leather is to put a "patch" of leather under the tear and glue the tear shut using the patch under it to adhere the two halves of the tear. I woud think this wouldn't work for something that gets stressed like a seat but should be fine for a door card. The only other way I know of is to use the patch the same way but instead sew the two haves of the tear to the patch. This would make the repair visable, but strong enough for a seat (if needed).

Use a window screen and condition the crap out of them. Leather is just skin and benefits from the same treatment as our skin does to UV protection and moisturization.
    Thanks! Here is a pic of the door card rip:

Attachment 86246

And here is the drivers seat with normal seat belt scuff wear. How should this be dealt with?

Attachment 86248

Thanks again for the advice. Can you recommend a good repair kit product?
    Last edited by Pavia; 11-15-2009 at 01:57 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Vez
    From the pic, the tear on the door looks as though the piece is just ripped off. I don't think any of my previous suggestions would work for that, sorry. To be honest, I didn't think the door cards were leather; I thought they were a vynal of sorts. Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions.

The seat looks like it's still in great shape. If after conditioning it for a week, there's still discoloration, you can try applying a leather dye to it, letting it set, and then conditioning it again. Before you do this, you -must- first check the coloring somewhere or it would be a disaster. :P Since it's athracite black not "black", color-matching may be very hard to do.

When I condition my seats, I generously apply the conditioner to the entire seat and rub it in with my bare hands, wait a few minutes for the leather to soak it up, and then wipe away any excess lotion still on the the seat.
    Last edited by Vez; 11-15-2009 at 03:33 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..

So a patch worked up with liquid leather won't work on the door panel? They very well could be vinyl. Not looking for perfection, just a reasonable fix. BTW, what would a shop charge me to fix that hole?

The seat, I'll follow your direction...
    Last edited by Pavia; 11-15-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Vez
    A patch would only work (and look good/acceptable) if all the material were still there. It looks like a piece was ripped off. If it were, and it's just a hole with material missing, I'm don't really know how to treat that. I wonder if you could get a replacement panel... I don't think it's all that noticable nor does it look bad, but I would be want it fixed, too.

I don't know about cost for the fix; I wouldn't even know who does those types of repairs.

If after looking into it a little more you decide there's not a fix for it, you can always try to camoflauge it. If you trim the excess material raised from the surface and then use a dye (or even a black shoe polish to give it a sheen more akin to the rest of the door) it may make it less noticable. I'm sorry I can't offer a good solution.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

Looks like the leather is only on the insert, which is not damaged. I can swap my original WRX TR vinyl door card and make a perfect repair. Thanks for the help!

Pics

Installation complete. Replaced the seats, all four door panels, and the door handles (swapped the black TR ones for chrome). Couldn't get the heated seats hooked up yet. The other connections are fine (no airbag/seatbely faults and the passenger seat indicator works fine). I still have the STI steering wheel to put on this weekend.

Also find out why my front driver's side door rattled (speaker came loose, lol)

Attachment 86326

Attachment 86327

Attachment 86328

Attachment 86329

Attachment 86330

Attachment 86331

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia
    Installation complete.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Looks good

To hook up the heated seats you'll need the harness and the switches. It should be really easy to hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Looks good

To hook up the heated seats you'll need the harness and the switches. It should be really easy to hook up.
    Thanks!

I don't know where to get the wiring harness and I think I also need a relay.

Looks swcheeet!

Were the seats plug and play?

I Support ClubWRX
    Remove the positive battery cable and negative battery cable. Once disconnected for a few seconds touch the two together for 20-30 seconds. That will remove all electrical current from the vehicle. It is then safe to work on SRS components.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by RexEnvy View Post
    Looks swcheeet!

Were the seats plug and play?
    No problems, everything was the same, except for the extra heated seat connectors. It would be the same for similar year STI seat swaps.

Actually, I thought about the heated seats and discovered an easier approach. Since I have a 5 spd, the slots for dccd switches are empty on the center console. I can put the switches right there and easily run the wiring to the seats. I think that's the setup on limited wrx's or outbacks.

Yeah, gotta kill the power when touching the SRS...

BTW, I didn't replace the carpet because the car already came with black carpet. The STI Limited carpet has more sound deadening, but who wants more weight?
    Last edited by Pavia; 11-30-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Looking very good!
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast