Best shift knob for wrx

This is a discussion on Best shift knob for wrx within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey, im looking for a well weighted shift knob for my 06 wrx because the stock one is just to ...

Best shift knob for wrx

hey, im looking for a well weighted shift knob for my 06 wrx because the stock one is just to lite and doesnt have enough feel in my opinion. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions of a good product, thanks a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd stay away from all metal knobs because they get super hot in the sun (so hot you can't even touch them!) and in the cold you better have gloves! They make composite knobs that have an internal weight in them which is the best of both worlds. There's somebody on here that makes these himself and sells them but I can't remember who it is! They're under $100 shipped so that's a pretty good price and he has a bunch of different styles.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

^For that reason I unscrewed my Greddy Counterweight Knob whenever I left my car.

I love the feel of my Momo (from the 02-04 WRX), but it needs more weight.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

I really really love my momo shifter--I thought it was sort of expensive but i love the feel of it. I've got an 06 myself, and I think it works great with the car, weight-wise. I get a lot of comments on it too--having the half metal/half carbon look to it.
    Wow, this car rocks.

I live on the autobahns of Germany

Ravens for life.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'd stay away from all metal knobs because they get super hot in the sun (so hot you can't even touch them!) and in the cold you better have gloves! They make composite knobs that have an internal weight in them which is the best of both worlds. There's somebody on here that makes these himself and sells them but I can't remember who it is! They're under $100 shipped so that's a pretty good price and he has a bunch of different styles.
    wc latheworks
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

dont flame me but im currently using an old 8-ball i had laying around. i was bored and decided to dill it and put a 1.25 insert in it..it feels pretty good, dont know if im going to leave it in or not..
    If you have everything under control you're going too slow.
    Bugeye Mafia #218 XPT gm bcs stage 2
    my mods
    HIGH MILEAGE CLUB
    ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECH.

i just picked up a Sti duracon 5mt knob a few weeks ago. It feels pretty good, although it's not very heavy, I like the feel of it and it looks pretty good. You can get them for pretty cheap too

Momo Race Ball Satin, Momo Classic Black Leather Boot,
    STi Ti Shifter Trim,
    NR-G Innovations Weighted Ti Brake Handle,
    Momo Classic Black Brake Handle Boot

This install took about 45 minutes total, the shifter is about 4x as heavy as the WRX leather-wrapped piece, the brake handle is easily heavier.

This made confidence where fright was living. I did take about 2 weeks of figuring out what parts really fit perfectly, but these slide in and bolt in place with no worries, and lock into the car like they were made for it. Nothing wiggles, jiggles, buzzes, or even vibrates with the stereo turned up.

Knob: $80
    Handle: $70
    Boots: $80 for both
    Shifter Trim: $55
    AgencyPower short shifter/bushings: $160

Considering the improved handling afforded by these upgrades, I would recommend them to anyone.

As far as how hot they get in the Summer, the handle and knob are reflective metal, they don't really get hot at all. I suppose if I parked in the Texas heat, yeah, the car would boil me.
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 11-30-2009 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    hey, im looking for a well weighted shift knob for my 06 wrx because the stock one is just to lite and doesnt have enough feel in my opinion. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions of a good product, thanks a lot.
    The best shift knob is the one that is attached to the end of your shifter.

i think this greddy shift knob is sikk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails t_17940.gif  

I have a Kartboy delrin knuckleball shift knob and it is great. I don't think I would go back to a leather or metal shift knob again, b/c they get too hot.
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 12-25-2009 at 11:05 PM.

i just got the Kartboy aluminum shift knob and i love it. only problem is in the winter when your hands are dry, it can slip right out of your hand.... but it looks real nice and is just the right weight
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

Quote Originally Posted by Merk247 View Post
    dont flame me but im currently using an old 8-ball i had laying around. i was bored and decided to dill it and put a 1.25 insert in it..it feels pretty good, dont know if im going to leave it in or not..

why would we flame? thats a cool idea... post up some pics!
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123