Clock Spring Question

This is a discussion on Clock Spring Question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 rex with an 04 steering wheel. Nothing on the steering wheel works... Cruise, horn, and I'm ...

Clock Spring Question

I have an 02 rex with an 04 steering wheel. Nothing on the steering wheel works... Cruise, horn, and I'm pretty sure even the airbag doesn't work. Reading up on the problem it seems to be a bad/faulty clock spring. Is there a way to test the clock spring? How would I replace it? Can I just swap it out? Could it be anything else?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So I asked this question forever ago and gave up on the problem but I am now looking into fixing it again as I got a long drive coming up. Anyone with knowledge?

Registered User impreza_rs_2004's Avatar

Clock Spring

Quote Originally Posted by losinspace View Post
    So I asked this question forever ago and gave up on the problem but I am now looking into fixing it again as I got a long drive coming up. Anyone with knowledge?
    Well there is not way of testing to see ifd it is broken. You said the cruse and horn dont work? Thats what happen to me.

Your going to have to replace the clock spring. You can go buy it new or try to find one use. If you find one use make sure the plus to the air bag match. What I mean by this is there are 2 different plugs the big yellow ones or a small black one.

After you find this out it is a bit of a pain to fix just becasue you have to follow the wires in back of the dash but it is only one wire thats all.

P.S. make sure you disconnect the battery before doing all this. If you have any questons email me
    impreza_rs_2004@yahoo.com

I will help as much as I can

I Support ClubWRX
    Before attempting to fix any SRS problem make sure to disconnect positive and negative battery cables and hold them together after disconnecting for 15-30 seconds. That rapidly drains any left over power in the system. Keeping that power in the system could cause a charge to any airbag module and have one blow up in your face... Not fun with a screw driver in your hand. Follow the manufacturers electrical diagnosis procedures to determine if your clock spring is faulty. (MEANING YES YOU CAN TELL IF IT IS BAD....) Follow the electrical trouble shooting guide.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Before attempting to fix any SRS problem make sure to disconnect positive and negative battery cables and hold them together after disconnecting for 15-30 seconds. That rapidly drains any left over power in the system. Keeping that power in the system could cause a charge to any airbag module and have one blow up in your face... Not fun with a screw driver in your hand. Follow the manufacturers electrical diagnosis procedures to determine if your clock spring is faulty. (MEANING YES YOU CAN TELL IF IT IS BAD....) Follow the electrical trouble shooting guide.
    I didnt know that part sorry.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by impreza_rs_2004 View Post
    I didnt know that part sorry.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Yeah, I have the airbag disconnected now and I've followed the wires down to where they connect to the wires coming from the car. I'm kinda concerned that my airbag light doesn't come on with the car running and the airbag disconnected. My bigger concern though is getting the cruise working due to my upcoming 17 hour drive.

One other thing, from my clock spring to my cruise switch is 4 wires and from my cruise switch is 3. the one not connected is a black wire. The cruise has a grn/blk wire that splices itself in two. One goes into the clock spring and the other has a spade connector that plugs to the horn metal (not sure what its called, horn switch maybe) behind the airbag. Is this correct?

yes

Quote Originally Posted by losinspace View Post
    Yeah, I have the airbag disconnected now and I've followed the wires down to where they connect to the wires coming from the car. I'm kinda concerned that my airbag light doesn't come on with the car running and the airbag disconnected. My bigger concern though is getting the cruise working due to my upcoming 17 hour drive.

One other thing, from my clock spring to my cruise switch is 4 wires and from my cruise switch is 3. the one not connected is a black wire. The cruise has a grn/blk wire that splices itself in two. One goes into the clock spring and the other has a spade connector that plugs to the horn metal (not sure what its called, horn switch maybe) behind the airbag. Is this correct?

yes it is

SO, I have continuity to each wire through the clock spring, I have power going to the Cruise main switch and the cruise Module. The horn relay has power. But the cruise still doesn't work. Are there any vacuum lines I should check?

SO I voltage tested everything I can think of, CC actuator, module, sub-switch connection and everything looks copacetic. Still no CC. Anyone with ideas? Also this has surpassed the original purpose of this thread. Should I move it somewhere?
    Last edited by losinspace; 03-26-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Clairify