08/09 SPT boost guage.

This is a discussion on 08/09 SPT boost guage. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just ordered a SPT boost guage for my 09 WRX. Does anyone have it. What are your opinions on ...

08/09 SPT boost guage.

I just ordered a SPT boost guage for my 09 WRX.

Does anyone have it. What are your opinions on it. I realize it only goes to 20 psi, but i dont ever plan on heavily modding the car. The most i ever plan to do is run the AccessPort stage 2 map. Isnt that like 18 psi?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    I just ordered a SPT boost guage for my 09 WRX.

Does anyone have it. What are your opinions on it. I realize it only goes to 20 psi, but i dont ever plan on heavily modding the car. The most i ever plan to do is run the AccessPort stage 2 map. Isnt that like 18 psi?
    How much did you pay for it? I saw them going for like $230 on one site... seems high IMO. According to Cobb Stg 2 peaks at 17 +/- 0.8 so yeah you could potentially see 18psi.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

I don't have one (went electronic with Prosport) but as far as the 20psi max goes, I kind of like that since you'll see use of the whole gauge when the needle is moving.

What I mean is, on my ProSport gauge (max 30psi) the entire last third of the dial is a waste of space since I'll never see the needle go 20+ except for the opening ceremony.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by CJ05 View Post
    How much did you pay for it? I saw them going for like $230 on one site... seems high IMO. According to Cobb Stg 2 peaks at 17 +/- 0.8 so yeah you could potentially see 18psi.
    there is a subaru dealer selling them for $199 on ebay with free shipping.

Genuine Subaru '08 09 Impreza WRX & STI SPT Boost Gauge:eBay Motors (item 260434186664 end time Oct-21-09 05:33:03 PDT)

i'd get it if there was a decent, stock looking place to mouont it. It just looks weird anywhere you put it..
    2009 WRX..KN&N Typhoon intake, HKS SSQ BOV..

Mine came on my car, I'll snap a picture of it this afternoon and be back with it uploaded tonight. It was mounted by the dealer on the dash at about 1:30 from the steering wheel. It looks great in my opinion! Same amber color and design as the gauge cluster. The needle is a little jumpy, but I figured that's just how they work.

If the needle is shaking you may try to install an in line filter between the boost gauge and the manifold, or the sensor if the gauge is electric.

post pictures
    2009 WRX..KN&N Typhoon intake, HKS SSQ BOV..

Quote Originally Posted by slobo7x View Post
    If the needle is shaking you may try to install an in line filter between the boost gauge and the manifold, or the sensor if the gauge is electric.

post pictures

What kind of filter? I have an electric boost gauge (Maddad) that has a little flutter in it. Not a big deal but I wouldn't mind having it as smooth as the rest of the gauge package.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    What kind of filter? I have an electric boost gauge (Maddad) that has a little flutter in it. Not a big deal but I wouldn't mind having it as smooth as the rest of the gauge package.
    Check the electrical contacts in the sender... my needle was going haywire, so I checked it and it had some mildew or something in it. Cleaned out, and works as good as new!
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by slobo7x View Post
    i'd get it if there was a decent, stock looking place to mouont it. It just looks weird anywhere you put it..
    Zerosports makes a mount that attaches next to the gauge cover. Looks sick but is dang pricey!
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Here are those pictures I promised! This is how mine came from the dealership, it never gets in the way of front visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Check the electrical contacts in the sender... my needle was going haywire, so I checked it and it had some mildew or something in it. Cleaned out, and works as good as new!
    Mine fluttered from day 1. I cut out the excess hose, which did make an improvement but still not perfectly smooth to a perfectionist like me. What kind of filter would supposedly fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Guero View Post
    Here are those pictures I promised! This is how mine came from the dealership, it never gets in the way of front visibility.

wow, i actually think it looks good in that location.

But is it just your pics, or is the visability of the gauge really that poor? It looks like you can barely see it lit up in the day light.

Also, it looks as if there are to lights right above the Boost. What are those for?
    Last edited by Liquidr1; 09-29-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Its my camera, lights up the same as the dash. And those two points are like bump stops for the needle., they don't light up.

well i just had mine installed, under vacuum the gauge flutters a little but its not that bad. I guess its expected of a mechanical guage.

Its kinda neet to know actually what boost your pushing. Sorry for the newbness but this is my first turbo car.

I thought the stock max boost for the 09 wrx was 14.2 psi. I noticed today that if i gunned in the right rpm and gear it would hit 16 very quick and drop back to 14-15 psi.