Window tint to hide your stereo?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Window tint to hide your stereo? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know this is more of an exterior/appearance question... but it's mainly for folks that have installed stereo equipment, so ...

Window tint to hide your stereo?

I know this is more of an exterior/appearance question... but it's mainly for folks that have installed stereo equipment, so I thought I'd post it here instead.

After getting my sub/enclosure installed last weekend, I've kept the cargo cover pulled back to prevent people from seeing the new sub. In my previous car, you could not see the sub at all, due to tinting and height (it was much higher up). However, in the wagon, it is very obvious when standing behind the car that there is a sub in the trunk!

I won't always have the rear cover in, and sometimes it gets in the way... is it enough to tint the rear windshield (and rear side windows)?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Depends on the percentage. 20% should be enough to prevent anyone seeing inside the hatch with the exception of direct sunlight. Anything lighter won't do enough and darker is somewhat of a safety issue/pita at night.

Of course be sure to check your local tint laws. 20% isn't legal in many states and some states enforce it, others don't. But choosing what tint percentage, legality, etc is entirely another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Depends on the percentage. 20% should be enough to prevent anyone seeing inside the hatch with the exception of direct sunlight. Anything lighter won't do enough and darker is somewhat of a safety issue/pita at night.

Of course be sure to check your local tint laws. 20% isn't legal in many states and some states enforce it, others don't. But choosing what tint percentage, legality, etc is entirely another topic.
    Awesome. In CA the rear windows and windshield can have any amount of tint, but the front windows must allow 70+% of light to pass through. I guess I'll have to drop by a shop to see the difference in percentages though. The last car came with tint in the rear windows and windshield, but I have no idea how much!

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    Awesome. In CA the rear windows and windshield can have any amount of tint, but the front windows must allow 70+% of light to pass through. I guess I'll have to drop by a shop to see the difference in percentages though. The last car came with tint in the rear windows and windshield, but I have no idea how much!
    The windshield strip must meet certain specifications as to size.

The front windows can be 88 percent, which is pretty much no tint at all. What they are getting at is that you can install a clear film designed to block UV rays, if you wish.

V.C. Section 26708 - Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver’s View

When picking a percentage, keep in mind the colour of the interior, it makes a difference. Dark carpet, dark sub box you should be okay with 20%.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    When picking a percentage, keep in mind the colour of the interior, it makes a difference. Dark carpet, dark sub box you should be okay with 20%.
    That's a good point to consider, thanks. Now I wonder how the car will look without any tint in the front windshield or front windows. Hopefully it does not look too strange...

That's a good point to consider, thanks. Now I wonder how the car will look without any tint in the front windshield or front windows. Hopefully it does not look too strange...
    Get 20% in the back and 30% up front

Quote Originally Posted by Bedhead42 View Post
    Get 20% in the back and 30% up front
    I will probably end up with 20% in the back, but not sure if it's worth getting a ticket in CA to have 30% up front...

Hopefully the Kenwood DNX6140 looks close enough to the factory navigation that someone won't try to rip it out!

I have a sedan, but I got my back 3 windows tinted 20% on Saturday. Looks much better, and it keeps out a lot of sun. Like you I didn't want to risk getting the front two tinted; zero film on the front windows here, with the exception of the windshield where I got a legal 15cm tall, 20% strip, also helps a ton.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I will probably end up with 20% in the back, but not sure if it's worth getting a ticket in CA to have 30% up front...

Hopefully the Kenwood DNX6140 looks close enough to the factory navigation that someone won't try to rip it out!
    Yeah, probably not worth it in CA, i would put SOME sort of tint on the front windows, even if its 50%. i promise it will look a lot better!

ema
    I know this is more of an exterior/appearance question... but it's mainly for folks that have installed stereo equipment, so I thought I'd post it here instead.

After getting my sub/enclosure installed last weekend, I've kept the cargo cover pulled back to prevent people from seeing the new sub. In my previous car, you could not see the sub at all, due to tinting and height (it was much higher up). However, in the wagon, it is very obvious when standing behind the car that there is a sub in the trunk!

I won't always have the rear cover in, and sometimes it gets in the way... is it enough to tint the rear windshield (and rear side windows)?

Thanks!
    A slight tint would do but you got to be aware of some regulation on car tints.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.