amp and speaker question

This is a discussion on amp and speaker question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i am replacing the factory door speakers. i am useing alpine type r speakers and a 4 chanel amp. its ...

amp and speaker question

i am replacing the factory door speakers. i am useing alpine type r speakers and a 4 chanel amp. its 4x100 rms. also going to install 1 or 2 subs havent decided yet when i do i will be using a 1x500 watt rms amp. if i do 2 subs there will be another amp. my question is will the electrical system handle this set up or will i need to install some capsitors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Capacitors would not save your electrical system much at all. They still use the same amount of power they just store it first. From what it seems like you should be fine with the stock electrical system but doing an upgrade to the Battery, or to do the Big 3(Upgrading the gauge of the Battery/Alternator Wires etc.) would never hurt.

so then i shouldnt waste my money on the capacitors. i was deffinatly planning on putting in a optima yellow top battery. i will have to look up the big 3 again and do it.

How important is it to upgrade your battery? I've only added a 4x100 amp and a more demanding head unit (double din, gps, video, etc). Should I be thinking about upgrading either when mine dies or preemptively?

should have posted this with my first post. will it draw to much power and cause my lights to dim stuff like that. that why i was asking about the capacitors.

Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    How important is it to upgrade your battery? I've only added a 4x100 amp and a more demanding head unit (double din, gps, video, etc). Should I be thinking about upgrading either when mine dies or preemptively?
    i am not really sure but everyone i knew that did any kind of audio upgrades involving amps changed the battery. from what i understand and i am not an audio expert. standard/cheap batteries go bad sooner cause they cant handle cycling of a hard power draw and recharge like a deep cycle battery can.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    Depends on the load you're putting on it. I've had a 500w RMS Amp running two subwoofers with no cap, and an upgraded deck on the stock battery for 3 years now. No problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Depends on the load you're putting on it. I've had a 500w RMS Amp running two subwoofers with no cap, and an upgraded deck on the stock battery for 3 years now. No problems at all.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I dropped by the audio shop this morning to have my alarm tweaked, and the guy said that it's not too necessary for my system. He didn't say it would be a bad idea, just that it's not crucial. Maybe the next time I get my battery replaced, it will be with the stereo in mind!