Adding Tweeters to 2009 Base WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Adding Tweeters to 2009 Base WRX within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I am planning on getting the Premium replacement sail panels for my 2009 Base WRX so that I can ...

Adding Tweeters to 2009 Base WRX

Hi,

I am planning on getting the Premium replacement sail panels for my 2009 Base WRX so that I can easily install component speakers. There are two questions which I'm hoping you all can help me with:

What is the Subaru part number (local parts dept seems confused)?
    What size constraints are there on the tweeter itself (mounting size and/or speaker diameter)?

FYI: I am considering Diamond Audio, Focal and JL Audio.

Thanks,
    Evan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If your going to buy the premium door sails for your base... Why buy other tweeters.. The premium tweeters should be a good compliment to any sound system... Plus it would save you money... Besides if you run JL or other high end brand of tweeter you will have to amp your output.. Yes even your tweeters will need amped.. I dont know if the imprezas come with an oem amp from the head

Are you using the OEM head unit? If so im not sure if it supports the tweeters... I know the wiring is already there but I dont know if the base head unit sends a signal for those or not... Would be worth looking into... but you say your going component speakers all around so im going to assume you already looked into amps and other head units...

You could always just go to a dealership and ask to see one of the premiums and get a quick measurement that way... They are a pretty tight squeeze so i dont think you will to much more room to work with aside from whats provided stock
    Last edited by Poohbear; 08-31-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    If your going to buy the premium door sails for your base... Why buy other tweeters.. The premium tweeters should be a good compliment to any sound system... Plus it would save you money... Besides if you run JL or other high end brand of tweeter you will have to amp your output.. Yes even your tweeters will need amped.. I dont know if the imprezas come with an oem amp from the head

Are you using the OEM head unit? If so im not sure if it supports the tweeters... I know the wiring is already there but I dont know if the base head unit sends a signal for those or not... Would be worth looking into... but you say your going component speakers all around so im going to assume you already looked into amps and other head units...

You could always just go to a dealership and ask to see one of the premiums and get a quick measurement that way... They are a pretty tight squeeze so i dont think you will to much more room to work with aside from whats provided stock
    Hey Poohbear,

I'm only purchasing the sail panels, not the tweeters.

The component speakers come with tweeters, but also a cross-over unit which dictates which frequencies go to which speaker. I'll be powering these off of a Kenwood DNX6140, and since the sub is handling the lower frequencies, it should have enough juice to power the component speakers.

I was able to order the sail panels afterall. They will be arriving in 2-3 days and came out to $16.56 each, which is approximately what I've seen others quote the parts at.

Evan

what exactly are sail panels? I'm getting some components too, and can't figure out where to mount them..

Where did u get these, at the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by slobo7x View Post
    what exactly are sail panels? I'm getting some components too, and can't figure out where to mount them..

Sail panels are the triangular piece in the front corner of the driver and passenger windows. On the 2009 Base model, these pieces are just plain plastic, while the Premium has tweeters embedded here.

I purchased the ones with mesh so that I could install tweeters from component speakers behind them. It's a tight fit, but seems as if it should work.

You can order them from your local Subaru Parts department. I had to try two before I found one with a competent enough tech though. YMMV.

Thank you, that's kind of what i figured.

Do you have part numbers by any chance? I have a base 09wrx hb as well.

Thanks!

Thank you, that's kind of what i figured.

Do you have part numbers by any chance? I have a base 09wrx hb as well.

Thanks!
    Sorry, I don't have the part number off hand. Mine will be arriving today/tomorrow though, so when I pick them up I can let you know.

Sounds good. Hopefully it can accomodate 1" aftermarket tweeter that comes with Polk components..

Mounting the tweeters in the factory locations will not give the best sound. Having the tweeter and woofer so far from each other creates massive sound seperation (where the sound from the tweeter reaches your ears way before the drivers does). Although it is easier for installation.

I run a car audio bay and I can put up some pics of where we installed my components in the front. Il try to do it tonight. It gives a very clean look and great sound.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    Mounting the tweeters in the factory locations will not give the best sound. Having the tweeter and woofer so far from each other creates massive sound seperation (where the sound from the tweeter reaches your ears way before the drivers does). Although it is easier for installation.

I run a car audio bay and I can put up some pics of where we installed my components in the front. Il try to do it tonight. It gives a very clean look and great sound.
    Doh! I just got a call from the parts department saying that my new sail panels have arrived.

I was always under the impression that having the tweeters up high in the sail panel was most desirable since it allowed the highs to be directed towards your ears. In home theater, you can adjust the delay on your surround speakers to compensate for their proximity to your listening position; but the distances inside a car seem nearly negligible in comparison.

Please post the pics when you get a chance, I'd love to see an alternative to hiding the tweeters behind the sail panels.

the tweeters should be at the ear level for optimal sound.. I guess it depends on the music you listen to.
    2009 WRX..KN&N Typhoon intake, HKS SSQ BOV..

the tweeters should be at the ear level for optimal sound.. I guess it depends on the music you listen to.
    As I was driving around last night, I noticed that above the woofer, the door panel is angled upwards. Has anyone placed a tweeter there pointing up?

Im sorry but that is not correct.

That is the worst place for optimal sound staging. Any manufacturer you talk to will tell you a tweeter should be within 6-8" of the woofer for optimal sound. The problem is having the driver and tweeter so far apart means all the treble reaches your ears before the bass does.

This actually confuses your brain as you are trying to prosses 2 different sounds and put them together. I have worked in car audio for many years and the sail panels is in no way a good place for a tweeter. This is why a lot of aftermarket companies make kickpanel mounts for component systems.

in my 09 WRX we have mounted the tweeter in the small angled part above the driver and it offers great sound staging. There is also lots of room to mount a crossover inside the door panel.

09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

nice install.

There are really two schools of thought on tweeter placement. Even if you place them in the stock location you can adjust the crossover to improve the staging. Tweeters can also be reversed to slow them down, so to speak.
    2009 WRX..KN&N Typhoon intake, HKS SSQ BOV..

The tweeters look really slick in the door panels! I am currently leaning towards having them installed there. Anyone want to buy replacement sail panels?

I just hope no one spills a drink in them!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.