Whats the three most usefull gauges? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Whats the three most usefull gauges? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im looking at boost, oil pressure, EGT, and AFR. But ill probably do the Boost, Oil Pressure, and EGT and ...

Im looking at boost, oil pressure, EGT, and AFR.
    But ill probably do the Boost, Oil Pressure, and EGT and then later add the AFR if/when I can afford it.

Whats the cheapest carbon fiber tripple guage clock pod that has clips? I see some good loking cheap ones but they dont have clips, they tell you to use silicone to mount.
    Current Ride:'04 JBP WRX Stage 2!

Previous Ride: 96' Civic EJ8 - Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Whats wrong with Prosport? So they aren't high and mighty expensive Defis...but I had them and they worked flawlessly for two and a half years. They were the first mod I did on my STI
    How would a very high defect rating and cheap backlighting work for you? I advise people to stay away from them, they are hardly one step up from Glowshift.

Ive only read good reviews about em.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    How would a very high defect rating and cheap backlighting work for you? I advise people to stay away from them, they are hardly one step up from Glowshift.
    It worked very well because Boost was spot on as was oil pressure. So theres not really any defects with mine. I could read the gauges perfectly fine in the light and the dark...so the backlighting wasn't a problem...and they matched my interior nicely. Not saying other people haven't had problems (I personally haven't seen any stories of it) but I'm just saying mine were perfect for me.

If I had the money, perhaps I would have gotten Defi's because they are quality. And the more I looked around...other good ones I would have looked at were Maddad Clarity's...but I had the Prosports and concentrated my money elsewhere
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I did more reading and the only problems were in 2007 off zero issues and bad sender units from their supplier.
    They have since gotten a new supplier for the senders and fixed the zero issues.

Also looks like they have good support and a 1 year warranty.
    Plus their cheap.
    Win + Win.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wtfh4xx View Post
    I did more reading and the only problems were in 2007 off zero issues and bad sender units from their supplier.
    They have since gotten a new supplier for the senders and fixed the zero issues.

Also looks like they have good support and a 1 year warranty.
    Plus their cheap.
    Win + Win.
    If you've only read "good" then you clearly haven't done your research.

Dozens and dozens of their gauges have been known to suddenly fail and their new units often don't work right out of the box either. Prosport is good about replacing them, but enough is enough when you have to send out for a gauge replacement 3 times before you even get one that works. Your money is better spent on a brand that knows that quality control is.

Most Prosport owners eventually give up on them and ditch them for the more expensive gauges they should have gotten in the 1st place.

I would get Prosport if I wanted fancy new gauges to show off in my car because it 'makes me look like a race car driver'. But if you actually use them, go with something else.

They use the same senders as Defi...
    Just that they dont spend $xxx,xxx dollars a year in advertising to produce a cheaper product.

Im getting electronic sender boost, oil pressure, and prob EGT.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    They use the same senders as Defi...
    Just that they dont spend $xxx,xxx dollars a year in advertising to produce a cheaper product.

Im getting electronic sender boost, oil pressure, and prob EGT.
    Defi produces a MUCH higher quality product that Prosport. There is no comparison at all, which is apparent even holding them side by side without hooking them up.

Defi is expensive, but there are cheaper options out there are that are just as good. Have you looked into Greddy, Blitz, or used Omori gauges?

Im getting 3 gauges for the price of one of the major *****d out brand names.
    Ill be happy.

Dont get me wrong, if defi priced their gauges the same id get em, but until then ill be getting Prosport and ill put up reviews.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
    Oil temp, EGT, Oil pressure, boost
    I have these 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    I also have 9 gauges in my car....
    I want to see pics of your interior.

They use the same senders as Defi... ...
    Show me where you got that information.

"the Premium Series gauge uses the same stepper motor to drive the gauge as a Defi- so, it is by no means cheap. Don't be confused by the low price. Our gauges have been tested side by side with Defi and they are just as accurate. As you can imagine it helps if they are installed properly. The main reason the prices are so low is because we hardly advertise. This saves a few hundred thousand dollars per year that you (the customer) do not have to pay. We only sponsor 3 vehicles and do not hire models to hand out brochures or be in our pictures. What I am trying to say is you are only paying for the Gauges & customer service."

Prosport gauge in and questionable! - Mazda Forums (4 pages deep and its pretty thorough, even has prosport in on the convo.)

Stepper not sender but still.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    They are trying to make it sound like their gauges are on the same par as one of the market standards but are cheaper because they don't advertise?

Want to know the real reason? Cheap Chinese/Taiwanese construction.

Sorry if it seems like I'm hounding, but I'm a firm believer in spending more to do things right the 1st time than to have trouble and spend more later.

I would do the three you can't do out of the OBDII port:

1) Oil Pressure

2) Oil temp

3) Boost. OK you can get this out of the OBDII, but it's best to get a dedicated gauge.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I agree with BRFatal about cheap gauges... and ProSport being a cheap one... I saw them at a local shop and kept walking. Plastic casings? No thanks... the OEM cluster has a metal bracket inside it, there's got to be a reason for that... vibration... see, plastic transfers the high-frequency vibrations that eventually undo electronics completely. High end car stereos have Copper chassis (at least mine does), most are metal at the very least. It is as if you bought a completely plastic car stereo. If it is a mechanical gauge, and hooked up to a fluid line, like oil or water, it is a guarantee that big trouble will occur when the guage inevitably fails.

AutoMeter... check them out. Not too-too expensive, reasonably accurate (the electric-sender ones are, not sure on mechanical senders and AutoMeter), durable, have a metal inner frame and trim ring, and many are LED lit in such a way as to make a good match to your dash. Nexus is their Defi-competitor, and doesn't look bad, but there are limits to what gauge types you can get since they are so new.

You will find many members of this forum are die-hard Defi users, and they will swear that anything else is junk. Defi is arguably the best, but keep in mind that there are few unique WRXs out there because there are things that work, and things that have proven to fail. A car built of what works looks like the next one and the next one. Owning one is a pleasure that cannot be understood by someone who ignored these good things.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post

I want to see pics of your interior.
    Page 5 of my WRX progress thread (in my signature).. Installed my 9th gauge on July 13th of 2007.... All 9 still working perfectly. Autometer FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Or you could be like Ninefourteen and have a gauge for everything inlcuding surface temp of the sun

2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast