Subaru WRX Forum banner

interior neon lighting

4K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  silvercookie 
#1 ·
So I've been thinking about installing some interior neon lighting for awhile in my 08' WRX and wanted to get some feedback on afew issues.

1. What type of lighting would be best. Neon, LED's or tube lights, etc...

2. where would be the best lacations for the actual light mountings. In the door sills, under the dash, under the seats...

3. Where would be a good place to buy either a kit or individual pieces to mix and match...

4. What color or colors would best compliment my blue impreza(medium-dark tint all around with medium tinted headlights and tails)

Thanks on advance! Any advice or tips on installation methods or photos of lighting you already have installed would be greatly appreciated.

There may already be a thread that discusses this issue already and if so maybe someone could redirect me.

#3 ·
Not my thing, but here goes...

LEDs do last longer, as pointed out.

They're also typically smaller, so it's easier to mount them hidden.

They also throw off a lot more light/power used.

Add in the fact that you don't need to use a converter like with neons & cold-cathode tubes, and I think LED wins.

Your best bet, oddly, might be checking PC case-mod sites. You'll more than likely find a rather wide selection there.

Color-wise, it's entirely up to you. I'd like to mention, though, that red would do the least damage to night-vision.

And, remember to put it on a switched circuit. I know a guy who hooked up his lights with a direct connection. He didn't notice they were on overnight and it was light out when he parked...car did start up, though a bit more slowly than typical, and he went to work. When he got back to the park-n-ride later that night, the battery was fully dead on both his car and his cell.

#5 ·
i thought LEDs were more energy efficient than gases?

LEDs will get much hotter though than a neon light and shine brighter.

Blue would be the best color IMO.

I used to have a neon lights on my celica (inside and out)

I would never do it again, but that's just me

#24 ·
Not again

My first instinct was to go with blue to match the car, but with a blue exterior and blue HIDs would interior blue accent lighting be too much? I thought maybe something to contrast all the exterior blue would be nice.. red to match the irridescent gauges perhaps??
You could do that too. It's totally up to you and what you like.

#23 ·
My first instinct was to go with blue to match the car, but with a blue exterior and blue HIDs would interior blue accent lighting be too much? I thought maybe something to contrast all the exterior blue would be nice.. red to match the irridescent gauges perhaps??

#34 ·
Hmmm... I actually think a small amount of black lighting would look... interesting.

Blacklighting would be interesting...

However I decided on replacing the dome/map lights with blue LEDs (which match a stock blue light coming from under the center console at night). I also found some blue EL wire online that I'm going to experiment with inside the cupholders/mapholders on all 4 doors too see if i can get a nice blue glow to light up the door panels.

At some point later on I might also look into a red neon or LED kit for under the dash and seats to compliment the iridescent red gauges...

I'll get some pictures up later this weekend or next week with the LEDs/EL wire if all goes well..

Thanks for all the input everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.