Crossover repair/ replace question

This is a discussion on Crossover repair/ replace question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A while ago the front passenger speaker (woofer) on my 04 went dead. I took off the door lining and ...

Crossover repair/ replace question

A while ago the front passenger speaker (woofer) on my 04 went dead. I took off the door lining and was surprised to see the door outfitted with an aftermarket woofer, tweeter and crossover (I bought the car used). So I yanked out the woofer and drove down to my local car audio shop for a replacement and was again surprised to find out the speaker I just carelessly ripped out was a fairly expensive Focal. Well, I went home and checked the continuity/ voltage on the crossover. The woofer terminal didn't work, and it didnt take long to see that the coil had come off.

So my question is this- I plan on selling the car soon and don't want to pay lot to make this perfect, but I do want sound from the speaker. Could I repair the crossover, is there a cheap replacement I could buy, or could I bypass the crossover and slice both speakers into the same power wires?

Also, how would I go about fixing the speaker? Pics below, its difficult to tell but the + wire has become slighty unglued from the dome.

Also #2, now the front driver speaker is also dead. Is it likely the crossover again, or could the two speakers be wired in series.

Crossover, all terminals have continuity with power(-) except power(+) and woofer(+)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    So the woofer is now OK but the inductor from the crossover came off? Solder it back on.

If you can't (but I don't see why) then you can either contact Focal and ask what the value is (or for a replacement inductor in any case) or find out what the slope and frequency is for the crossover, then either find something "close enough" or have someone design one for you and build it etc. "Close enough" sounds much more appealing.

EDIT: Doh! The x-over says on the cover that the slope is 12dB/oct. All you need is the cutoff frequency and you should be able to get a full x-over replacement for low coin. It'll lack quality components but you don't really care.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-23-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So where would I look for a comparable crossover?

I Support ClubWRX
    First I'd price the Focal item, it may be relatively inexpensive or you may find a closeout etc. Also, it'll allow you to get the model no. and in any case you need the frequency. Once you find the frequency, check the usual suspects -- Madisound, Parts Express come to mind.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know. You have to check your existing crossover frequency vs. what frequency those crossovers cut at.

Heres what the ebay ad says about the 2-pack of crossovers ($60 btw)

FOCAL Model: From 130KF Kit

* Passive filter for component system
    * Crossover frequency of 3,500 Hz
    * Tweeter Level adjustment 0, -3dB, -6dB
    * High Quality Capacitors, Inductors and Resistors.
    * New, Never Opened

A quick search for the specs on a 130KF kit shows a freq of 70-20Hz, same as the 165A1's in my car. So they should work. Anything else I should check for?

I Support ClubWRX
    The info you are missing is the X-over frequency of the unit you are replacing and the slope of the unit you are buying. They "should" work but they may not be identical to what you have, or even ideal.

I ordered the the ebay crossovers, they should came in later this week. I'll update the thread after i put them in, in case this is relevant to anybodies interest.