Speaker install question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Speaker install question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Love my 09, but speakers stink So I am replacing my rear speakers first. Had a new set of pioneer ...

Speaker install question

Love my 09, but speakers stink

So I am replacing my rear speakers first. Had a new set of pioneer 6.5's sitting in the garage, so using those.

My question is, does this cone shape plastic piece need to be attached to the speaker?? It obviously helps out rattles with the foam attached to it. It also has the screw points that line up to the speaker hole. Do I just need to screw the new speaker into the sheet metal?? Would you use sheet metal screws?

Also, the pioneer has 2 male connectors on the back, one larger than the other. Which wire do I splice and connect to the smaller male connector, and larger one? I see a white/red wire and a black/red wire.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Use the bracket and mount the new speaker to it, the foam helps to seal the speaker to the door and give it a fuller sound not to mention mounts the speaker in the perfect place foor the door card to fit over it.

Also while your there fix the door rattles! There is a thread on the site if you search which will imporve the sound dramatically.

As foor the door wiring, the black and red wire will be positive and the red/white negative. Your speaker should indicate which terminal is positive. Normally this will be the larger of the two terminals.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

But the stock foam cone speaker looks like it is one solid unit? I just tried to pry it open with a screw driver and it started to crack the cone.

What has anyone else done this when installing rear speakers??? It looks like you have to get rid of the entire unit and just install the new speakers straight to the sheet metal. But I do see how the stock "cone" speaker would help out with the sound
    Last edited by schleygo; 07-22-2009 at 06:37 AM.

The speaker will pry apart from the bracket, thats how I installed mine
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers

I don't know about you, but if it were me, I'd sell those speakers, & get some that match the existing mounts (bolt pattern). I wouldn't trust sheet metal screws in the door.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

It is too late. I had my panel off for 18 hours waiting to see what to do.

I screwed the speaker to the sheet metal. Made sure I did not hit anything on the flipside. Sounds a lot better just for the rear. I think I will buy some really nice speakers for the front.

install a set of JLC2650x speakers.

I have them all round in my 09 and they sound awesome. If you have the time, dynomat your doors, again it makes a huge difference. I was very surprised how much fuller the sound became.

Hey! Im putting in all new speakers in my 2010 wrx and i cant firgure out which wires are positive and negitive for any of the speakers.
    R front- Brown/yellow, Green
    L front- White/Black, Blue/Brown

Any help in finding out whitch wires are positive and negitive?
    Thanks!

Speaker adapter harnesses eliminate the need to know pos and neg. You should get those when you order speakers, if you order from crutchfield its free as well as speaker brackets.

But drilling directly into the doors sheet metal is fine, just as long as it doesn't interfere with the window or anything behind it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.