four questions on 09 audio (XM, speakers, watts...)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on four questions on 09 audio (XM, speakers, watts...) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought the 2009 WRX Sport Wagon "Premium". As with many others I want to upgrade the audio. Questions ...

four questions on 09 audio (XM, speakers, watts...)

I just bought the 2009 WRX Sport Wagon "Premium". As with many others I want to upgrade the audio.

Questions please:
    1. Is the antenna mounted on the roof (the small black stubby one) just for the
    AM/FM, or is this an XM antenna as well? If so, any way to tap into it?

2. Do you know how many watts the stock "10 speaker" audio system head has?

3. I've been looking for replacement door speakers, I read here that there are some issues with mounting depth -- Polk as a pair with just over 2 inches depth, anyone know if 2 inches is too much?

4. In general on the forums I see good tips for speakers, installs, etc, but a lot of time people don't list their car year, or it is for 2007. Is everything the same on multiple model years, or are the 2009's different?
    Thanks much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a 2009 as well and from what I can tell the removal of door panels is different compared to other years. Overall, it is very easy but just be careful when removing the triangle pieces on the rear door. They are designed to be removed in a certain direction and if you force it the tabs may break.

Re: the wattage...who cares? The factory HU is junk. Seriously, do yourself a favor and replace it. I thought it would be tolerable after running Infinity's all around and I got virtually no improvement. Too bad I'm stuck with mine for a while as I spent too much on performance goodies and other upgrades....

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I have a 2009 as well and from what I can tell the removal of door panels is different compared to other years. Overall, it is very easy but just be careful when removing the triangle pieces on the rear door. They are designed to be removed in a certain direction and if you force it the tabs may break.

Re: the wattage...who cares? The factory HU is junk. Seriously, do yourself a favor and replace it. I thought it would be tolerable after running Infinity's all around and I got virtually no improvement. Too bad I'm stuck with mine for a while as I spent too much on performance goodies and other upgrades....
    Thanks for the tip about the doors.

As for the HU, I know you are probably right. I have had luck in the past just amping up (and adding better speakers) to cheap stock HU's. I took a look at the HU, it looks like a difficult install? I couldn't even figure out where the wires run for the speakers from the HU to see if I could easily install an amp. I'm guessing a HU replacement would probably a day worth of time, and I haven't had a free day in years, and since I live kind of out in the country I can't imagine there would be anyone around here that could do the work for me reasonably. And I would also probably lose the steering wheel controls...

Which infinity speakers did you get? And did you add an amp?

I, too, have had good luck with adding upgraded speakers and a sub to a factory HU, e.g. my 2005 Nissan Frontier sounded acceptable with crappy Blaupunkt components.

I wouldn't imagine replacing the HU would be all that bad. I pulled mine out to wire a line-out converter for the sub. The only thing that slowed me down was finding a way to safely remove the trim piece on the dash. I used a squeagee that I had for tinting windows to gently pry off the trim, which worked great. You don't need to lose your steering wheel controls as there are adapters (...someone recently asked about them in another thread) but they don't interface seamlessly. I used one in my Frontier with a Kenwood and it did the job.

If I remember correctly the Infinity's I installed were 6.5 reference. They were cheap in the grand scheme of things but I had no plan to power them with an amp...but that may have changed with how loud my exhaust is. My amp is a legacy item not worth mentioning from about three cars ago. Just enough to power an 8'' sub.

Try reading my thread NEW TOYS in the interior section. Recently did a full install in my 09 wagon. The rest of the pics should be up tonight but there are some of the doors being done etc.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I, too, have had good luck with adding upgraded speakers and a sub to a factory HU, e.g. my 2005 Nissan Frontier sounded acceptable with crappy Blaupunkt components.

I wouldn't imagine replacing the HU would be all that bad. I pulled mine out to wire a line-out converter for the sub. The only thing that slowed me down was finding a way to safely remove the trim piece on the dash. I used a squeagee that I had for tinting windows to gently pry off the trim, which worked great. You don't need to lose your steering wheel controls as there are adapters (...someone recently asked about them in another thread) but they don't interface seamlessly. I used one in my Frontier with a Kenwood and it did the job.

If I remember correctly the Infinity's I installed were 6.5 reference. They were cheap in the grand scheme of things but I had no plan to power them with an amp...but that may have changed with how loud my exhaust is. My amp is a legacy item not worth mentioning from about three cars ago. Just enough to power an 8'' sub.
    When you pulled the head unit, did you happen to notice if the antenna line coming in has two leads or one? I was wondering if the XM antenna has a separate lead that I could grab onto.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.