Changed my switch backlighting
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Changed my switch backlighting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I posted this over at Scoobymods but thought it may be of use over here. I had to replace my ...

Registered User streetfighterkz's Avatar

Changed my switch backlighting

I posted this over at Scoobymods but thought it may be of use over here.

I had to replace my backlight bulb in my cruise control switch and while I was at it decided to change the backlight of the cruise and foglight switches.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of the switch apart.

Step 1: Remove the switch (obviously).

Step2: Dissassemble the switch.
    This can be done by inserting a small flat-tip screw driver between the tabs on each side and simply popping the switch apart.

Step 3: Remove the small "lense" of the switch.
    After you take the switch apart take the small screwdriver through the back of the button and knock the small rectangle "lense" off the button. It doesn't take much force but I tried to push near a corner to reduce visible damage.

Step 4: Remove the green coating on the back.
    I used a pocket knife to scrape it off as much as possible without damaging the plastic. I held the lense up to a desk lamp to make sure the light was shining through constistently. When I felt I couldn't scrap any more, I used some contact/brake cleaner on a rag to give the back of the lense a good wipe.

Step 5: Paint the back of the lense.
    I build model cars so I had a small bottle of Tamiya Clear Red (X-27). (It's meant to be used on painting the brake lights on model cars when they are molded in clear.) I used three coats, allowing plenty of time between each coat for the paint to dry.

Step 6: Reattach the lense.
    I used a small dab of superglue to the area just below where the indicator light is on the lense. You'll see two openings on the button once you have the lense off. The dab of glue will line up with the small rib that seperates the the two light paths.

Step 7: Reassemble and reinstall the switch.
    Reverse of Step 1 and 2.

Step 8: Admire your work. If you did it right you should get orange/red backlighting. (I think it looks red and my wife says its orange. I'm color blind so I'm not sure who's right.)

Later, Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0444_small.jpg   DSCN2513_small.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nasioc has a DIY on how to do ALL the interior lights(gauges and HVAC as well) and even how to switch them to LED.........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I've read the posts but I didn't have the bulb condoms and don't have the money for the LED's yet. I just wrote this in case someone is in the same position as me and needs an alternative.

Later, Doug

Tamiya paint?

Quote Originally Posted by streetfighterkz View Post
    Step 5: Paint the back of the lense.
    I build model cars so I had a small bottle of Tamiya Clear Red (X-27).

YUP! X-27 aka Clear Red Tamiya Color Acrylic Paint

Later, Doug

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.