Would a high output alternator cause damage?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Would a high output alternator cause damage? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was reading a thread on another site earlier today about high output alternators on a WRX. Some people said ...

Registered User Whoa!ShutItDown's Avatar

Would a high output alternator cause damage?

I was reading a thread on another site earlier today about high output alternators on a WRX. Some people said it could damage the cars computer others said thats not true. I found this alternator that says it fits 2002-2005 WRX's. Im going to be running:

2 - Crunch p1400.2 amps (1400 watts max, each)
    2 - Alpine Type R subs 2 ohm
    Alpine CDA-9884
    3.5 farad capacitor

Will I need to upgrade my alternator? Is there anything else I will need or should do? I know questions like this have been asked time and time again but I have been searching the forums all day and cant find a definite answer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i would say the caps will help but i would at least upgrade the alt a little bit (you dont need that much power)

and im running that same amp with a 1 farad cap and i get no dash fade or any distortion on the subs end.

plus the crunch amps arn't a true 1400watt amp thats just peek power and the RMS power or true power is more like 600 to 700watt Max.

im pushin 2 MTX Blue Thunders (old ones) but sounds great.

The only thing you would be worried about is if you were changing pully's. Just upgrade the wire that goes from the alternator to the battery. Another smart thing is to upgrade the grounds that go to from the battery to the chassis scrape the metal off n everything, go to your local car audio store and have them make you a good cable with connectors if you dont have crimpers
    "If your gunna pimp it...pimp it right playa"
    SPT intake, Greddy TBE, Up-Pipe, Aceessport, Pro-Tuned=Front: Rockford Fosgate 6'1/2 Component
    Rear: Memphis 4" Component
    Sub: Rockford Fosgate P3 10" 43hz
    3x-Rockford Fosgate T400-2
    Rockford 10 Farad Capacitor

Registered User Whoa!ShutItDown's Avatar
    I have 2 17ft pieces of 0 gauge wire for power and ground. I have a fused distribution block for 12v and a non-fused distribution block for ground. Would I still need to upgrade the ground with the chassis? What size and how much wire would I need for the alternator? Thanks

I'd grab 2 feet of 4 gauge and ground it to the engine or make a new one through a spot weld. But, to upgrade the alternator wire where does that wire lead...? Where does it hook up? Anyone wanna input? . Because of this post I now want to upgrade my alternator wire, forgot to do that haha
    "If your gunna pimp it...pimp it right playa"
    SPT intake, Greddy TBE, Up-Pipe, Aceessport, Pro-Tuned=Front: Rockford Fosgate 6'1/2 Component
    Rear: Memphis 4" Component
    Sub: Rockford Fosgate P3 10" 43hz
    3x-Rockford Fosgate T400-2
    Rockford 10 Farad Capacitor

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.