boost guage

This is a discussion on boost guage within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i looked but i cant find does anyone know if i can use the factory boost guage hose which reads ...

boost guage

i looked but i cant find does anyone know if i can use the factory boost guage hose which reads in mpa for aem boost inpsi thanks for a reply

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Some quick answers, one must be right...

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    i looked but i cant find does anyone know if i can use the factory boost guage hose which reads in mpa for aem boost inpsi thanks for a reply
    In short, you can use an OEM gauge, it'll read shy if you get more boost. If you use an AEM gauge, you might need an AN-# adapter, about $5. It ought to take 30 minutes to install.
    If you are using the OEM gauge on an AEM part, check with the manufacturer about compatibility (some meters actually leak boost to gain an accurate reading, and until you hit 40psi or greater, you do NOT need this).

In depth:

I don't know what AEM unit you have, so:
    AEM's UEGO is a stand-alone unit and senders are included or part numbers are listed in it's manual, so:
    I will guess (?) that you are using an AEM intake and the "Subaru OEM" gauge. You will have no problem. There is no machanical difference beween a gauge reading in PSI, one reading BAR, or one reading Metric (KGsI/MPa). The ink on the dials is the only differing feature. You will want to use top-grade hardware when splicing the T-fitting into the BPV vac. line. The included plastic "T" is junk, and if you exceed OEM boost levels at all, at any time, it is likely to become schrapnel lodged in the hoses it was joining. I had this happen, thus the drama.

I could be wrong... maybe you have an AEM BOV? If so, this means you have nothing to be concerned about, a vac return is a vac return, polished and billet or not.

Now that I am down to engine management as what you meant by AEM (part not mentioned). If you have an ECU replacement from AEM, contact them. Each is unique, and your fitment will determine your next actions. You should directly contact them on the phone while you are looking at your engine bay. This way you can communicate clearly with your technician.

You might find in the long run that a 20psi/10psi meter (the OEM gauge would show you these numbers if you silkscreened it in accordance with it's reactive needle travel ratio to boost and vaccuum) is too small of a sweep, and that a 30/30, like a Defi or AutoMeter might allow improvements in your induction system without "going red" at max boost.

What I mean is, if you get turbo work done, and a tune, and you are getting 24psi boost, and you have a 20psi gauge, you will not know your max boost, or be able to time shifts accurately until you accomodate the data aquisition capabilities of your instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    In short, you can use an OEM gauge, it'll read shy if you get more boost. If you use an AEM gauge, you might need an AN-# adapter, about $5. It ought to take 30 minutes to install.
    If you are using the OEM gauge on an AEM part, check with the manufacturer about compatibility (some meters actually leak boost to gain an accurate reading, and until you hit 40psi or greater, you do NOT need this).

In depth:

I don't know what AEM unit you have, so:
    AEM's UEGO is a stand-alone unit and senders are included or part numbers are listed in it's manual, so:
    I will guess (?) that you are using an AEM intake and the "Subaru OEM" gauge. You will have no problem. There is no machanical difference beween a gauge reading in PSI, one reading BAR, or one reading Metric (KGsI/MPa). The ink on the dials is the only differing feature. You will want to use top-grade hardware when splicing the T-fitting into the BPV vac. line. The included plastic "T" is junk, and if you exceed OEM boost levels at all, at any time, it is likely to become schrapnel lodged in the hoses it was joining. I had this happen, thus the drama.

I could be wrong... maybe you have an AEM BOV? If so, this means you have nothing to be concerned about, a vac return is a vac return, polished and billet or not.

Now that I am down to engine management as what you meant by AEM (part not mentioned). If you have an ECU replacement from AEM, contact them. Each is unique, and your fitment will determine your next actions. You should directly contact them on the phone while you are looking at your engine bay. This way you can communicate clearly with your technician.

You might find in the long run that a 20psi/10psi meter (the OEM gauge would show you these numbers if you silkscreened it in accordance with it's reactive needle travel ratio to boost and vaccuum) is too small of a sweep, and that a 30/30, like a Defi or AutoMeter might allow improvements in your induction system without "going red" at max boost.

What I mean is, if you get turbo work done, and a tune, and you are getting 24psi boost, and you have a 20psi gauge, you will not know your max boost, or be able to time shifts accurately until you accomodate the data aquisition capabilities of your instrument.
    well all i know is its the new aem boost guage that you can change all the faces to and its like 200 bucks so i hope it comes with everything and no i dont have a aem intake does that matter i was just wandering if i could just use the hose off the factory boost guage cause im doing away with it i got the center pod for three guages i went with the boost wideband uego and oil pressure but anyway thanx for the reply

I just uninstalled the factory Lamco boost gauge in favor of a Glowshift psi-based boost gauge and hooked it up using the factory hose (I had to run another wire through the firewall for my other gauge so I run the Glowshift supplied tube just in case). In any event, everything is working fine. I logged my car and the boost is accurate.

Hope that helps!