Turbo timer - necessary or not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo timer - necessary or not? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Please go easy on me cos not only am I new to turbo timers I'm also new to forums!! I ...

Question Turbo timer - necessary or not?

Please go easy on me cos not only am I new to turbo timers I'm also new to forums!!

I recently bought an 2004 WRX (facelift) and have read horror stories about "caking" the oil by not alowing the turbo oil to cool. I don't drive hard. Infact I probably don't deserve such a great car. What I need to know is DO I NEED A TURBO TIMER and if so CAN ANYBODY RECOMMEND ONE THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO LOCK/ALARM THE CAR REMOTLEY AND STILL ALLOW THE T.T. TO DO IT'S THING. I'm fairly certain the vehicle is fitted with the original subaru alarm.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by MonkeyPig; 02-24-2009 at 05:35 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well i bought one for my 06 WRX and was told it was pointless since the turbo in my car cools itself with oil or something like that and I don't need it. I guess turbo timers are more for older type turbo's and I am pretty sure our wrx's don't need them....but wait for more replies! You could probably search turbo timer in the search up towards the top of the forum and I am sure this has been an issue on here before!!

you don't need them

Cool

Thanks for that....
    I appreciate that our turbos are oil cooled but I understand that's where the problem lies! I will see what a few more answers say....but thanks for being my first EVER forum reply!!

Thanks taerron

bet ya someone else replies to say i can't live without one!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPig View Post
    Thanks for that....
    I appreciate that our turbos are oil cooled but I understand that's where the problem lies! I will see what a few more answers say....but thanks for being my first EVER forum reply!!
    Ha, no problem! I bought my turbo timer before I knew this forum exsisted! That's the only reason I still have it! I can't even seem to sell it on ebay......

Question Reply to lytlec

did you ever fit it?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPig View Post
    did you ever fit it?
    No, I bought it mainly because it had a digital boost gauge on it and my car didn't come with a boost gauge but I was reading into turbo timers once I found this forum and realized I didn't need them plus they just seemed kinda sketchy...like you had to make sure your lights were turned off and the alarm wouldn't work unless you spliced wires and stuff I didn't want to get into so I just bought a prosport boost gauge and put that in! So my blitz dual turbo timer is just chilling at the house...awesome! I think it won't sell on ebay cause I listed it as a turbo timer for a wrx...but I am pretty sure it can be used on older type cars such as the talons and older eclipses....I don't know...

well I mean older cars that have turbo's on them...
    Last edited by lytlec; 02-24-2009 at 06:08 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you explore the links in my signature you will find info on turbo timers and much more.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

yo lytlec how much u selling that timer for? i know a buddy that is looking for one

Quote Originally Posted by Xin0811 View Post
    yo lytlec how much u selling that timer for? i know a buddy that is looking for one
    at least 85...

no turbo timer is necessary. stock wrx's have scroll turbo's. turbo timers are not needed until you upgrade to a ballbearing turbo and run hi psi. your turbo is self-oiled and will be just fine. don't waste your money, also a turbo timer will void any warranty you have.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Livinloud7 View Post
    no turbo timer is necessary.
    Correct. There is simply no history of failures related to coking or heat etc. on stock units.

stock wrx's have scroll turbo's.
    I don't know what this is. Late WRX cars were shipped with Mitsubishi turbos that are water cooled.

turbo timers are not needed until you upgrade to a ballbearing turbo and run hi psi.
    The way friction is avoided in the cartridge isn't relevant here; what's relevant is whether the turbo is cooled by coolant. In our case, it is.

your turbo is self-oiled and will be just fine.
    I can't think of a turbo that is not. The issue is water supply.

don't waste your money,
    Agreed.

also a turbo timer will void any warranty you have.
    No. This will vary depending on location of course, since the warranty agreement will also vary according to location. Although I have little sympathy for those firms that throw out "Magnusson Moss etc. our clients are fine, yo!" statements that have little meaning when it comes to a dealer refusing work for an end user, and in fact I dislike unauthorized, aftermarket parts, there are aspects of the factory warranty that are very, very difficult to avoid -- or "void."
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-20-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

so if I just bought an STI and it's got an upgraded turbo ie: an APS SR 57 ballbearing turbo, I should look into a turbo timer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast