speakers

This is a discussion on speakers within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i blew a speaker so i wanna replace all the doors now...i want it too still look stock but wanna ...

speakers

i blew a speaker so i wanna replace all the doors now...i want it too still look stock but wanna get nice speakers and run an amp...what do u have on ur cars thanks
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #4114

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just finished installing all this in mine.

Infinity Reference series speakers with 6 1/2 in front with tweeters and 5 1/4 in the rear with tweeters. The amp is mounted under the passenger seat.

The stock rear speakers are mounted in brackets that are removable and the 5 1/4's will bolt right in. No depth issue to worry about there. There are spots on the back of the door panels that are perfect tweeter locations. I mounted the crossovers in the door panels themselves using epoxy to keep them in place. The is a spot near the arm rest area that has the depth that is perfect for this purpose. One thing I had to do thought was to get rid of some excess material on the back of the door panels or the speakers may hit the door panel and rattle. I used a Dremel to remove this material and it provided enough clearance to stop the rattling.

The fronts are a bit different since the depth is shallow. You will have to buy or make spacers unless the speakers come with some. These Infinity speakers actually came with two different mounting spacers which I used together to create the depth needed. I used the stock tweeter brackets and epoxied the Infinity tweeters to them, so everything except the stereo and rear tweeters are hidden. Once again, the crossovers were mounted in the door panels.

The hardest part of this was running all the cabling in to the doors. Most people will probably run the cables through drilled holes with grommets, but I run them through the existing wiring harness weather protectors, and it was a *****.

The end result is one hell of alot better that what I had going on before, but I am still debating about running a powered sub in the trunk. It's just too difficult to try and get good bass response out of small door speakers.

Hope this helps.....
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)