Subaru WRX Forum banner

Interior hatch rattle please help

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  swong46 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i have an 07 wagon and i have a horrible rattle in the rear trunk area. I think it is the hatch but i'm not sure. Has anyone here had a similar problem and maybe a fix?

#3 ·
The hatch shouldn't be rattling in a near-new car.

Check under the floorboard in the spare tire / tool kit area??? Maybe something is rolling around?

#4 ·
checked all that... I even had a friend crawl into the back and feel around while driving on a bad road :thumbup:
the only way to stop it was to push really hard on the actual door trim of the back door... So it almost seems that the trunk isn't closing right, because it rattles when you close it too...

#5 ·
Loose license plate???

Otherwise.. who knows? Maybe you have something rattling around inside your hatch??

#6 ·
hmm no its not the license plate.. and i've pretty much put my whole hatch back together at this point... and i'm almost sure that the hatch isn't closing right, and thats causing the rattle.
do you think i should bring it to a dealer?

#7 ·
^^ Yea... if you've torn the whole hatch apart...... and still can't find it.... Just bring it to the dealer. That would DEFINITELY be covered under warrantee.

I can't imagine how the "closing" mechanism could get messed up... it's a pretty simple design...... I suppose stranger things have happened though.

I'm trying to think of something else that could have fallen down in there and is making noise.... there really isn't much there.... a part of your rear winshield wiper? Maybe a retaining bolt from one of your taillights??

Got me man.... Wish I could help more.

#9 ·
did you ever figure out what your rattle was? I have a 06 wagon with the same problem. I've fiddled with everything that can move and even put some duct tape on the plastic piece that surrounds the metal lock loop at the bottom of the hatch opening cuz I thought maybe that was it. Not. If you figured it out, please share. It drives me crazy!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.