Help...this is embarassing but Im going nuts here

This is a discussion on Help...this is embarassing but Im going nuts here within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK, so heres the deal. Just installed the kartboy short shifter but i couldnt get the damn momo shift knob ...

Help...this is embarassing but Im going nuts here

OK, so heres the deal.

Just installed the kartboy short shifter but i couldnt get the damn momo shift knob off LOL. I have taken wrenches and everthing to get this stupid thing off and its not budging.

This sounds stupid I know, but if anyone has any ideas that would be great LOL. I would rather not saw the stock shifter off to get the knob!

Thanks everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

M16
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_lewis View Post
    OK, so heres the deal.

Just installed the kartboy short shifter but i couldnt get the damn momo shift knob off LOL. I have taken wrenches and everthing to get this stupid thing off and its not budging.

This sounds stupid I know, but if anyone has any ideas that would be great LOL. I would rather not saw the stock shifter off to get the knob!

Thanks everyone!
    Hahaha.

Man I really cant help you with that...

Vez
    I don't know if Momo shift knobs are like this, but maybe it's reverse threaded? Have you tried turning it clockwise to get it off? ...just a guess, though. You can also try some WD-40 provided it doesn't discolor the knob or anything.

If it makes you feel better, when I got my car I couldn't figure out how to turn the parking lights off! lol I didn't know there was a rocker switch for them on top of the steering column as well as the regular light dial.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I Support ClubWRX
    Does it have a set screw you have to loosen through the side?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

As far as i know it should just twist off. Mine did.
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

Thanks guys haha so heres what happened.

Whoever had the car previously put the knob on improperly and the threading was completely ruined. I used 2 vice grips and finally got the stupid thing off with a whack load of force haha. Its completely ruined but whatever.

Im havin the same problem with mine on a kartboy short shifter. where did you put the vice grips when you took yours off and how did u get it off?
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

To be very honest, I knew it was screwed anyways so I just put the vice grips all over the thing until I finally got it off. The shifter is completely screwed along with the knob. I have no idea what the owner before did to it.

If I were you, just make sure the set screws are out and try and salvage it if you can. If its like mine than you might have to the same thing I did....one vice on the base of the shifter and one on the knob and go to town.

Good luck!

haha yea no set screw like you had either. tried a vice grip on the knob and on the shifter but nothin happen. Just ripped off some of the leather on the shift knob. I'm gonna go to a subaru dealership close by tomorrow and see if they can give me any info.
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

You have removed the shifter correct?

When I did it I ripped off the leather too. Then I put the grips on the metal part of the knob and clamped them down and put the other set of grips right at the base and seriously had to use all my strength to pry it off. It was a f-ing pain in the ass LOL.

You are positive there are no set screws hey? The holes are mini and take an extremely small key to get out.

Good luck LOL

yes positive there are no set screws unless they are hidden on the leather part somewhere but none of the silver of the knob and no i didnt take the short shifter out of the car yet but i might do that.
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

Ya definitely take it out.

If you unscrew the top of the knob from the bottom (there may be two metal pieces attaching the actual knob) of the knob you may fine the screws on the upper portion of the knob.

Give that a try.

Hope that helps.

yea i'll see what i can do i might take the short shifter out tomorrow and see what i can do..
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    I don't know if Momo shift knobs are like this, but maybe it's reverse threaded? Have you tried turning it clockwise to get it off? ...just a guess, though. You can also try some WD-40 provided it doesn't discolor the knob or anything.

If it makes you feel better, when I got my car I couldn't figure out how to turn the parking lights off! lol I didn't know there was a rocker switch for them on top of the steering column as well as the regular light dial.
    That's too funny, but that happened to me too! I was so pissed I thought something was wrong with my car, or Best Buy ****ed up the stereo install or SOMETHING! I called the dealership all frantic-style, because I had to keep disconnecting my battery to get the damn lights to turn off.

Then he told me about the switch on the steering column. I felt really stupid.