SPT boost gauge (coming feb 09) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on SPT boost gauge (coming feb 09) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i will. looks from the picture in the brochure, you mount it on the dash... i was hoping for the ...

i will. looks from the picture in the brochure, you mount it on the dash... i was hoping for the empty space in front of the temp/fuel gauge. we'll see when i get it.
    '08 WRB STi -- Cobb Stage 1

'08 Black Z06

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think you could mount it to the steering column cover as well

curious how well the backlighting matches (needle as well)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

It's available. Feb came so quickly:

Part #: H501SFG500

Method from NASIOC seems the first to have gotten it and installed it:

NASIOC - View Single Post - Post Your 2008-2009 WRX/STI

purdy!

Quote Originally Posted by ejicon View Post
    It's available. Feb came so quickly:

Part #: H501SFG500

Method from NASIOC seems the first to have gotten it and installed it:

NASIOC - View Single Post - Post Your 2008-2009 WRX/STI

mine is in. overall i'm ok with it. the backlighting sucks during the day; from what i've seen, the older style SPT gauge is easier to read IMO. of course i've never seen one lit up at night.

it is "ok" at night.

and yes, i spent time positioning it just right.

i guess i was just expecting too much.
    '08 WRB STi -- Cobb Stage 1

'08 Black Z06

I got one going in this coming Monday on my two week old 09, I had no idea it could be installed up to the right of the the steering wheel. i'm pretty sure I will request left of wheel on column if possible. I can't find too many pic's besides one posted here mounted, and none at all on column. Lookin forward to it either way, the matching backlight looks nice imo. I had the first SPT on my 06 and liked it, didn't have one on my 07 STI. Figured I try it again..before peeps ask I had to/forced to get outta my 07 due to MAJOR issues. Bummer is car went to dealership fine, two months later of my STI sitting at dealership Subie totally hooked me up on a 09...really no complaints so far

Just got my SPT boost gauge installed--on my steering column. I don't have pics (yet), but will post some after I take them.

I think the gauge looks nice (matches the rest of the gauge cluster), seems to work well, and doesn't seem to bounce nearly as much as I was lead to believe after reading this thread.

The gauge is lit when the engine is running, regardless of whether my lights are on. When the engine is off, the gauge goes dark and the needle rests at 0 PSI.

As for the mounting location, I choose to mount on the steering column for a more low profile affect. I didn't want this big gauge on my dash for other drivers to see.

There were a couple disadvantages of installing the gauge on the steering column, directly in front of the tach:

1) I cannot read the odometer without looking around the boost gauge pod to one side or the other--fortunately, I could care less about reading my odometer while the car is in motion, and have no problem looking around my boost gauge

2) the base of the boost gauge pod had to be cut to avoid overhang off the back of the steering column, since the gauge has to sit back far enough to avoid getting in the way of the steering wheel when making a turn :-)

In my opinion, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages:

1) though I cannot read the odometer without looking around the gauge to one side or the other, I can now very easily read both tach and boost gauges at the same time with a quick glance--this is due to the fact that although the boost gauge sits directly in front of the tach, it is small enough (and the tach is large enough) that both can be read from where I sit, which is to say the boost gauge location doesn't in any way prevent me from reading my tach

2) with this "low profile" installation, nearby drivers don't see this big gauge sticking out of the top of my dash

3) in addition, this low profile location seems to solve the problem that some have mentioned about difficulty reading the gauge during the day--it sits low on the steering column and not high on the dash, so there is less sunlight reaching it making the backlighting perfect IMO

Overall I am pleased with the gauge.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've always liked my boost gauge on the column as well- looking forward to seeing the pics

I need to take more (i.e. better) pics, since I evidently suck with a camera.

Let me add that these pics don't, IMO, do this setup justice. It looks much better in person, and the gauges are again, extremely readable. The more I drive around with the boost gauge mounted on the steering column, the better I feel about the decision to mount it there.

Anyway, here are the pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0715.jpg   100_0716.jpg   100_0717.jpg   100_0718.jpg   100_0719.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    looks pretty good to me

DUB
    So is this the perspective you see when sitting behind the wheel?

At first I was thinking 'what an idiot, why would he block the tach with a boost gauge?' Then I realized you can probably still see the outer edge of the tach, where the numbers are, which is all you need. It looks good.

I really need to take some more pics.

I can't emphasize enough how easy it is to read the tach and the boost gauge at a glance without having to look to one side or the other. I had trouble with the camera focus and zoom, and so had to lean in to the gauges more so than I ever would while driving (which makes the boost gauge appear to block a lot more of the tach than it really does, since it was probably about 3" from the camera lens when I took that shot).

The only reading the boost gauge blocks is the odometer, which can easily be read by looking around the boost gauge to the right or left side. You can do this while driving without having to struggle (or at least I can).

Before drilling any holes, I made certain that the boost gauge was perfectly centered in front of the tach so that neither was obscured by the other, at least from where I sit (btw, I'm 5'11" for what it's worth).

And again, with the boost gauge on the steering column the backlighting makes it easy to read during day or night, which is another bonus IMO.
    Last edited by black09wrx; 10-16-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Does the gauge "sweep" with the rest of the instrument panel? I was curious since its a mechanical gauge it probably doesnt. That would be a huge selling point for me to get the SPT over a less expensive brand...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

No the gauge DOESN'T sweep, was kinda disappointed but oh well.. at least it matches the cluster.

I <3 SASHA.M

Yeah that is a little disappointing... makes $200 for a boost gauge seem a bit much now
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast