Got 1st speeding ticket in my WRX..need a radar detector! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Got 1st speeding ticket in my WRX..need a radar detector! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had a good radar detector a few years ago and gave up with them - too many false signals ...

I had a good radar detector a few years ago and gave up with them - too many false signals and too much false security. I now live in MD and go in to DC and VA a lot - radar detectors are illegal in the latter two states. We have lots of fixed speeding cameras and roving vans with speeding cameras. Plus the usual police on the road. I made the decision that if I'm not paying enough attention to spot the speed trap, then I deserve the ticket (none so far, except two from fixed cameras in heavy traffic, when the cameras were new).

By biggest fear is pacing at night - when you're driving along on a busy road in the dark, it is pretty hard to tell that the guy behind you can give you a ticket. Radar/laser detectors don't help with pacing. I've been stopped once due to being paced by a following officer. Fortunately, I was able to convince him to let me off with a warning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't get any false alarms with the V1 that matter. In my area, the only band used by the DE police is Ka band. I see that and I know its a cop. Ka and K bands are used in MD. X band is filtered out (not used by police here). DE uses laser too, but mainly in the south were I don't go.

Pacing is a tough one. You have to stay alert. However, I've noticed that the vast majority of police in my area don't turn their radar units off, so bingo, they are tracked. After 2 years with the V1, I can tell where the cop is (in front, behind, side), how far away they are, and whether they are stationary or moving towards or away from me.

I never got any radar hits in PA, but they don't need it. Vascar is deadly. Instant-on radar is deadly as well. Have to use the Mark 1 eyeball for those situations.

Yeah, VA is a no-go for detectors. They can and will detect the signal if your using one.

BTW, I'm really not into speeding, I'm just an electronics nerd...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by BOOOSTIN View Post
    Here's an idea.. slow down a little bit and save yourself the expense of a radar or a speeding ticket..

agreed. I know everyone likes to go fast every once and a while, but wasting your money on a radar dectector will just tempt you to speed anymore. No need for a solution if there isn't a problem. Solve it the sensible way...slow down

Quote Originally Posted by UUARX View Post
    agreed. I know everyone likes to go fast every once and a while, but wasting your money on a radar dectector will just tempt you to speed anymore. No need for a solution if there isn't a problem. Solve it the sensible way...slow down
    its been working well for me. i drive a bit fast once in a while, but for daily driving i never go above 5 over. and i have no tickets at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Pacing is a tough one. You have to stay alert.
    Not too tough during the day, if you stay alert. VERY tough at night on busy roads. I go up to Balitmore a lot, and there it gets really tough - they have a lot of unmarked vehicles, including Explorers, Mustangs, and even some old mid-sized vehicle that you wouldn't expect (spotted when they were ahead of me, based on the light cluster seen through the rear window, or because they had pulled over someone else) - none of these had visible radar units and probably just had calibrated speedos for pacing.

As for not speeding - the speed limit on 695 (Baltimore) is 55, and most driivers go closer to 65. I spend even more time on 495 (MD/VA) and 270, which are also posted at 55 but with average speeds closer to 65 (when not crawling due to traffic).

This is one of the main reasons I chose a boring silver 4D 2008 WRX - it doesn't stand out, so that they'll choose someone in the flashy red sports car and leave me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by seanski View Post
    its been working well for me. i drive a bit fast once in a while, but for daily driving i never go above 5 over. and i have no tickets at all.
    Yeah I've toned down my driving a lot. Tickets are just a waste of $$. For the most part I try to just obey laws...after all they're there for a reason...safety? nahhh...Oh wait.

Have any of you guys tried that GPS program that alerts you to speed traps. looks interesting. I was thinking of trying out phantom alert. anyone with personal experience in here?

phantom alert review

Quote Originally Posted by uuarx View Post
    yeah i've toned down my driving a lot. Tickets are just a waste of $$. For the most part i try to just obey laws...after all they're there for a reason...safety? Nahhh...oh wait.
    +1
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Get a CB radio and talk to truckers (this comes from a former one), they will be always glad to let you know what's going on ahead and where the smokey bear is camping.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Vez
    Keep in mind:
    -they're not "cop detectors" so you still have to use your head
    -just because your detector isn't going off doesn't mean that there's not a cop sitting there with a radar gun...you might be his first
    -pay attention to ALL warnings; people get too used to false alarms and start disregarding the detector when it goes off; don't do that.
    -if possible, familiarize yourself with which frequencies are used by cops; I can usually tell what the source of the alarm is since I've done this.

When it comes to detectors, a quality detector isn't cheap; you get what you pay for in this particular instance.

Radar detectors are legal in every state except VA and are also illegal in Washington DC. In VA, you are not even allowed to have one in your possession.

Jammars are illegal in PA; I don't know about any other states.
    Last edited by Vez; 11-10-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBa11er View Post
    been driving my 03 WRX for less than 2 months and just got a speeding ticket yesterday (i guess going 85 while everyone else was doing 50 wasn't a very smart idea..)

thinking about getting a radar detector (to make me a safer driver of course), any suggestions on which model to get?
    Do you honestly think that getting a radar detector is going to make you a safer driver? If it does, please explain because I don't understand how. Just because you have a radar detector does not make driving 85 in a 50 any safer than it would driving without one.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmadison View Post
    Have any of you guys tried that GPS program that alerts you to speed traps. looks interesting. I was thinking of trying out phantom alert. anyone with personal experience in here?

phantom alert review
    I've been using it for about a year. I like it. It's a good reminder to pay attention when your getting near a school zone speed limit change, railroad crossings, or cameras. Loads as POI (Points of Interest) into your GPS's favorites database.

The speed-trap info only tells you where traps have been in the past.

Probably more useful to a location like Phoenix, AZ that has more cameras, then say a rural area...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez
    -if possible, familiarize yourself with which frequencies are used by cops; I can usually tell what the source of the alarm is since I've done this.
    I only worry about the Ka band on my V1
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I only worry about the Ka band on my V1
    ^^^ true in my region, as well. Although, as stated earlier, the Laser warning is just a "you-got-caught" light (if it really is police laser).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp25 View Post
    I made the decision that if I'm not paying enough attention to spot the speed trap, then I deserve the ticket (none so far, except two from fixed cameras in heavy traffic, when the cameras were new).

pacing at night - when you're driving along on a busy road in the dark, it is pretty hard to tell that the guy behind you can give you a ticket. Radar/laser detectors don't help with pacing.
    Exactly.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast