Headlight eye lids?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Headlight eye lids? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I own a 02 wrx and I'm looking into buying some eye lids. i was wondering how they connect to ...

Headlight eye lids?

I own a 02 wrx and I'm looking into buying some eye lids. i was wondering how they connect to the headlights and how easy are they to install. i would guess they just glue, tape, or lock on to the headlights?

thanks
    07 WRX STi Stock - my new baby
    02 WRX 225 hp 222 tq - Not at Fault Accident TOTALED

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

double sided sticky tape is the most common way to mount them. try to get the fiber glass ones, less prone to braking. secure them well, i've read plenty of people have lost them while driving.

my brother had some on his civic and they blew off while driving....
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Make sure you clean the lens before putting them on. I have them and they make the headlight look
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

eyelids

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkyZ View Post
    I own a 02 wrx and I'm looking into buying some eye lids. i was wondering how they connect to the headlights and how easy are they to install. i would guess they just glue, tape, or lock on to the headlights?

thanks
    I just recieved my shipment of some eylids I got from a fabricator in Japan who sells on eBay. They are called "JU" Style, and are hand-laid and vacuum formed fiberglass. Not bad quality, and they come sanded and primed. I paid about $35 shipped, and I am about to put about another $75 into getting them painted before installing. If the paint and installation come out anywhere near as well as the projector headlight retrofit, this should complete the project in a most appealing manner. I am happy that so far the system is accepting of aftermarket electronics (some cars have a finicky way about them, y'know?).

Pics of the finished product again when the install is complete.

I can tell you that the BEST method of installing these is:

test fit first! make sure there are no glass fibers causing the lids to rise above their intended installation location, and that there is no friction against the hood, or you will ruin them. Same for Poly. Make sure the shape is right. Sand or heat and bend accordingly. Do not try to heat and bend it if it is fiberglass. If you have glass eyelids, and sanding does not appear to be enough to clear everything for a tight but accurate fit, return them for another set. If they are Poly, you can really do what you want with them, they will conform to whatever shape you make of them.

Once they are shaped and painted exactly how you want them on the car, it is time to go shopping. The bigger a hardware store you can hit, the better. There are some local auto parts supply houses that have this item as well:

3M SuperAdhesive Thin Two Sided Tape

It is about 9 bucks as opposed to the $4 rolls usually spotted in smaller hardware stores. This stuff is dark gray with a red backing. Use it liberally, but only ONE LAYER! It builds thickness quickly, and does not adhere any better with multiple layers. If your shapes are right, one layer, completely covering the mounting-surface-side of the eyelid will allow it to permanently bond to the headlight housing. This is best accomplished while the headlights are ON the car. This way you know the eyelids are going to be equally angled, and distanced from the surrounding body panels. If you do it right, but hate them, a heat gun will get them off, but it is time consuming, will wreck painted headlight housings, and is not guaranteed not to break the eyelids (especially glass) as the heat will temper the material into a harder, brittler one.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 12-26-2008 at 04:13 AM.

Mine are painted on the factory color...havn't seen another one with eye lids to this day, i love'm ...no chance to fall off

if you need a pair of 02 eye lids then i have a pair for sale that are brand new in the packaging. Send me a message if you are interested for a price plus postage. They are not expensive.
    pottsy

im going to make mine myself, got the idea from

must have 3 posts w8

erm... don't waste time... and get a warranty

This is good information but only to learn the true worth of them when they are done, and if you have done enough glasswork, you know the mess, materials, tools, and finally, paint, are costly enough to warrant $25 to an eBay seller, or many aps's have them. I'd say that considering the time involved also, you can have them in 3 days tops if you use a credit card...

I paid $27 for them shipped from a guy whose name I can give in a PM. He made them himself, signed them, dated them, and said that if they ever break, he'd replace them. It took 3 days from Japan to Maine. I don't have any idea what shipping method he used, because it was all in Japanese words typed in English letters, but I am guessing he is a dude with a tightly kept garage and a sick WRX. He has his own body style, his own lighting system (the ones we can get from eBay are a severe bite off him, but the eylids are made for those, and fit so tight, it is a surprise they aren't just made as one piece).

They are also virtually rock-proof, modular, and can be rebuilt for about $100 per housing for each lamp (projector upgrades are really easy from PIAA, Bosch, and many dealership parts counters will upsell you a projector setup with non HID (these are lightweight ABS housings, and will be toast under those temperatures) lighting systems with very high output, some illegally bright, but some run them anyway.

But I digress.

You are looking at about $40 in tooling out something you can get for 75% of that in less time than curing the glass and sanding it yourself, after doing the necessary prep to get a shape you like, one which exists... and looks rather fresh on factory lighting as well... I threw in a ton of pics so you can see what I am up against this Spring... headlight paint was $200 with Imron and ArmorGloss, and PIAA Spark bulbs are $55. PIAA P9000 projector fogs are identical in housing color and halo configuration as the Jun lights for about $180.

The projectors for the STi JDM version are around $1000, so no matter what, we are doing well for the $$. Some of our light options (those with eBay housings) are better (Ferrari Bosch racing projectors in 70mm fit and can literally blind you, around $1200 a pair with ballasts, and that's the coolest running HID around... will fit, I want it, forget it). Orciari has similar options, but eyelids would be wack...(IMO)

Edited for your convenience:

Hella's race duty lamp systems are not DOT approved. They are FIA approved. This will not help when dealing with irritated Police officers who do not like the excessive brightness. It may even get you a tow to a less-than-friendly parking lot with a fat bill to follow. It is possible to use a "compromise" bulb like the PIAA S.P.A.R.K. in the Bosch housing, as it has a cool blue color (a la Saab X series ion crystal projector lamps) created with a tint on the bulb surface. This reduces light output to an arguably legal level. In short, Bosch has OEM (approved by DOT) and race grade systems. Ferrari GP and GT use those, there's no real need for them on the street, and the beam pattern is useless under 100mph.

ALSO:

If you buy eBay lamps, get new lamp cartridges, because the plastic ones are garbage. PIAA makes a housing which is solid AC Aluminum. It stays cool, and keeps bulbs from rattling. The only part of my eBay hosings I still have is the plastic casing (the body). It looks great painted, and the lighting units are so easy to swap, I could easily have bought two sets of four and had a night set in Lamin-X yellow with HID behind them, and blue day runners. I am using the GTX bulb, which is pink on high, and blue on low. Neither is more than 100K from legal white, so no issues with our local forces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lights 003.jpg   front end.jpg   100_0007.jpg   100_0003.jpg   100_0008.jpg  

100_0009.jpg  
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 03-17-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Are the lids installed, and are there pics?

thanks

I assume we figured out all the hitches to correctly installing these eyelids, I know I am itching pretty bad to get them finished... I have had them for 3 months. I am being very patient about getting it done, because I want them painted with Imron, and my painter is busy this time of year with Spring restoration on customers' vehicles.

If you have pics of your completed eylids, post them in this thread!

$50 is a small price to pay for a really unique and lasting mod. It also saves your lighting from rock damage, should you beat your car as bad as I do... and eBay projector lamps are ghetto-fabulous with nothing to cover the HUGE turn signal lens (as if we weren't going to make an angry Samurai out of our BugEye?). I happen to have a set, and though they are getting me really close to a 100% unique mod, it is expensive. I will have spent what EDM LHDs would cost. I have the option to run any 60mm lamp I want though, so I have PIAA P series lamps in there... all PlazmaGT-X bulbs... and it does get me flashed a LOT!

Housings: $140 shipped
    Bulbs: $180 shipped (3 pairs)
    Eyelids: $34 shipped
    Wire harnesses: $20 (RadioShack is your friend)
    Driving lamp housings: $200
    Paint: $300 (DuPont Imron Opaque WRX02 Metallic 9-coat heat treated)

I am thinking about pulling the projectors and Lamin-X ing the lenses with blue. They are hardened mineral glass, and very resistant to chipping, but they are still glass, so a plastic anti-shatter layer might be wise. $15 for 30 sq. inches... I will post this stuff up as soon as I have it finished, I just wondered if yours are done?

thanks
    hey man what are you lookin for? if you're lookin for appearance what i did was just get them vinyl trimmed on. did two layers of black to absorb light nd one layer of silver to match the car.

but if you're wantin them for the purpose of deflecting rocks then gotta do fiberglass or carbon-fiber.

Cool ??

Where would I get the vinyl "trimmed on" or what website sells pre-cut silver eyelids and I could stick on.

I'm not really interested in doing the fiberglass option.

THANKS!
    JERSEY CHRIS
    "they call me tq. too quick"

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    This is good information but only to learn the true worth of them when they are done, and if you have done enough glasswork, you know the mess, materials, tools, and finally, paint, are costly enough to warrant $25 to an eBay seller, or many aps's have them. I'd say that considering the time involved also, you can have them in 3 days tops if you use a credit card...

I paid $27 for them shipped from a guy whose name I can give in a PM. He made them himself, signed them, dated them, and said that if they ever break, he'd replace them. It took 3 days from Japan to Maine. I don't have any idea what shipping method he used, because it was all in Japanese words typed in English letters, but I am guessing he is a dude with a tightly kept garage and a sick WRX. He has his own body style, his own lighting system (the ones we can get from eBay are a severe bite off him, but the eylids are made for those, and fit so tight, it is a surprise they aren't just made as one piece).

They are also virtually rock-proof, modular, and can be rebuilt for about $100 per housing for each lamp (projector upgrades are really easy from PIAA, Bosch, and many dealership parts counters will upsell you a projector setup with non HID (these are lightweight ABS housings, and will be toast under those temperatures) lighting systems with very high output, some illegally bright, but some run them anyway.

But I digress.

You are looking at about $40 in tooling out something you can get for 75% of that in less time than curing the glass and sanding it yourself, after doing the necessary prep to get a shape you like, one which exists... and looks rather fresh on factory lighting as well... I threw in a ton of pics so you can see what I am up against this Spring... headlight paint was $200 with Imron and ArmorGloss, and PIAA Spark bulbs are $55. PIAA P9000 projector fogs are identical in housing color and halo configuration as the Jun lights for about $180.

The projectors for the STi JDM version are around $1000, so no matter what, we are doing well for the $$. Some of our light options (those with eBay housings) are better (Ferrari Bosch racing projectors in 70mm fit and can literally blind you, around $1200 a pair with ballasts, and that's the coolest running HID around... will fit, I want it, forget it). Orciari has similar options, but eyelids would be wack...(IMO)

Edited for your convenience:

Hella's race duty lamp systems are not DOT approved. They are FIA approved. This will not help when dealing with irritated Police officers who do not like the excessive brightness. It may even get you a tow to a less-than-friendly parking lot with a fat bill to follow. It is possible to use a "compromise" bulb like the PIAA S.P.A.R.K. in the Bosch housing, as it has a cool blue color (a la Saab X series ion crystal projector lamps) created with a tint on the bulb surface. This reduces light output to an arguably legal level. In short, Bosch has OEM (approved by DOT) and race grade systems. Ferrari GP and GT use those, there's no real need for them on the street, and the beam pattern is useless under 100mph.

ALSO:

If you buy eBay lamps, get new lamp cartridges, because the plastic ones are garbage. PIAA makes a housing which is solid AC Aluminum. It stays cool, and keeps bulbs from rattling. The only part of my eBay hosings I still have is the plastic casing (the body). It looks great painted, and the lighting units are so easy to swap, I could easily have bought two sets of four and had a night set in Lamin-X yellow with HID behind them, and blue day runners. I am using the GTX bulb, which is pink on high, and blue on low. Neither is more than 100K from legal white, so no issues with our local forces.
    since you mentioned them. Any idea where to get orciari headlights?? I absolutely love that look but cant find them anywhere and dont speak italian so going directly through orciari is a pain.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast