Good Gauges?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Good Gauges? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking to get add some new gauges in plce of the clock. And i was just wondering if there ...

Good Gauges?

I'm looking to get add some new gauges in plce of the clock. And i was just wondering if there are good gauges and bad gauges, just because after looking up some prices some are a lot more money than others. My feeling is that i guess it must be better if its more money but at the same time i am telling myslef a gauge is a gauge. If there are good and bad gauges any recommendations and stories of which ones i can trust and which ones will give me a false reading? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2231045-post6.html

this post gives a pretty good breakdown of each brand

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

i say go with the whole defi set-up. either the ati or defi triple gauge hood. they both accomadate for 52mm and 60mm gauges. my friend had the defi pod with an aem 52mm afr gauge in the middle and the defi bf series "imperial units" 60mm boost and oil pressure gauges on either side. looked good. i like the defi gauges because when you turn off the car they go completley black doesnt even look like theres gauges in there. the controller is fun to but i wouldnt have any use for it. heres a link to check them out

gauges-
    Defi BF Series Gauges "Imperial Units", JSC Speed

triple gauge hoods-
    Clock Pods ATi, Defi, & Auto Meter Gauge Pods for WRX & STi, JSC Speed WRX & STi Gauges
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled177234 View Post
    I'm looking to get add some new gauges in plce of the clock. And i was just wondering if there are good gauges and bad gauges, just because after looking up some prices some are a lot more money than others. My feeling is that i guess it must be better if its more money but at the same time i am telling myslef a gauge is a gauge. If there are good and bad gauges any recommendations and stories of which ones i can trust and which ones will give me a false reading? Thanks
    you are gonna get what you pay for. Do some research via the search function on here and nasioc.

VDO gauges are reasonably priced and work perfectly.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Take a look at maddad. I don't own them but I'm very impressed with what has been said about them.
    Cobb Accessport v1 stage 2 93 map, Nitto Invo Tires, Sti Front and Perrin Rear Sways, Rota Torque Wheels, APS Exhaust 3.5" turbo back. Catless TurboXS Up pipe, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake lines, Hawk HPS Brake Pads, Paranoid Fabrications Cowl Braces, Group-N Tophats, Group-N Trans and Engine Mount, Tokico Dspec w/ Rce Black springs

Defi - are by far the best if you got deep pockets
    Maddad - are hit or miss. I would look at something eles
    Stri - work very well and are easy on the wallet
    AEM - These get my vote, I run them.
    Autometer - cheap and are known to be off
    Prosport - Like the Maddad hit or miss
    I would run away from any of the Ebay gauges that are too cheap to work.

I would look at the AEM if you can do 52mm, if you need 60mm I like the Stri or Defi. Remember these might save you motor one day.
    VF30 powered 02 wagon

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart Racer View Post
    Defi - are by far the best if you got deep pockets
    Maddad - are hit or miss. I would look at something eles
    Stri - work very well and are easy on the wallet
    AEM - These get my vote, I run them.
    Autometer - cheap and are known to be off
    Prosport - Like the Maddad hit or miss
    I would run away from any of the Ebay gauges that are too cheap to work.

I would look at the AEM if you can do 52mm, if you need 60mm I like the Stri or Defi. Remember these might save you motor one day.
    That's because they are made by the same people. I had a vendor on NASIOC (who shall remain unnamed) tell me via PM they bought a Daddy's Clarity V2, Prosport and ebay no name gauge, looked them over, disassembled them and concluded they were exactly the same except for the printing on the gauge face. However, I do believe Daddy's have gone to a different supplier for the Clarity Ultra series, so I would get those if I was gonna go MadDad.

Also, Defi makes 52mm gauges as well.

I say keep the clock. So much cleaner looking. I'm not big on the 3-pod setup on the dash. 2-pod A-pillar gets my vote. For gauges, I'd go Defi or AEM (good value).

You could also use the Autometer Cluster Bezel. I am not big fan of the pillar pods.
    VF30 powered 02 wagon

It's funny how each car has its own set of "rules" on what looks good and what doesn't. It's all opinions, and everyone should do what they think looks best for their cars. Honda/Acura owners love pillar pods while Suby owners love clock pods. Guess where I came from!

I Support ClubWRX
    Get enough gauges to fill all 3 (pillar, bezel, clock)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have Hondas in my background also. My problem with the pillar pods is it blocks my view on turn ins. I don't run the clock pod either. I run the cluster bezel, and let the data log tell me the rest.
    VF30 powered 02 wagon

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    That's because they are made by the same people. I had a vendor on NASIOC (who shall remain unnamed) tell me via PM they bought a Daddy's Clarity V2, Prosport and ebay no name gauge, looked them over, disassembled them and concluded they were exactly the same except for the printing on the gauge face. However, I do believe Daddy's have gone to a different supplier for the Clarity Ultra series, so I would get those if I was gonna go MadDad.

Also, Defi makes 52mm gauges as well.
    Dang, I wish I knew that before. I just installed the clarity boost gauge in a subygal pod a few weeks ago. I have to try to recalibrate it again as it reads 1-2 PSI high compared to the ECU at this elevation. It looks great though it will not dim quite down far enough to match the brightest cluster setting.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Defi gauges are definitely nice, I won't argue that, but I just can't justify spending the money for a few gauges that aren't going to be much (if any) more accurate than cheaper ones. I've had Autometer (crap, but I haven't used their top of the line) and now Maddad. I don't dislike my Maddad at all. They're not perfect, but for the price I paid, I didn't expect them to be. Passengers always comment on how good they look and they serve their purpose and seem to be very accurate.
    2005 WRB STi, protuned stage 2+

We live for fun, not forever

"Quantity has a quality all its own." –Josef Stalin

I am Jack's 300 turbocharged horses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast