Good Gauges? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Good Gauges? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mycologist Dang, I wish I knew that before. I just installed the clarity boost gauge in a ...

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Dang, I wish I knew that before. I just installed the clarity boost gauge in a subygal pod a few weeks ago. I have to try to recalibrate it again as it reads 1-2 PSI high compared to the ECU at this elevation. It looks great though it will not dim quite down far enough to match the brightest cluster setting.
    The thing about maddad gauges is this: Daddy's SCP is a vendor, not a gauge manufacturer. They contract with a supplier who does manufacture gauges and slap the MadDad name on them. Now, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, I'm not dogging MadDad gauges. But, the problem is that creates one degree of separation that Daddy's has no control over. They have no control over the people who are actually making the gauges they sell. I would just rather buy a gauge from a company that is in the business of manufacturing gauges.

Again, I'm not trying to say your a fool for buying them, or any such thing. They were actually on my short list when I purchased some gauges and I do like the way they look. Also, as I mentioned before, I know they went to a new supplier for the Clarity Ultra series, people on NASIOC seem to like those gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by PegGrinder33 View Post
    Defi gauges are definitely nice, I won't argue that, but I just can't justify spending the money for a few gauges that aren't going to be much (if any) more accurate than cheaper ones. I've had Autometer (crap, but I haven't used their top of the line) and now Maddad. I don't dislike my Maddad at all. They're not perfect, but for the price I paid, I didn't expect them to be. Passengers always comment on how good they look and they serve their purpose and seem to be very accurate.
    You mentioned accuracy twice in that post. How do you know a gauge you are using is accurate? Are you comparing it to a mechanical meter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    i heard autometer gauges were good
    my friend has one in his srt-4 and it seems to work pretty good.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post

Again, I'm not trying to say your a fool for buying them, or any such thing. They were actually on my short list when I purchased some gauges and I do like the way they look. Also, as I mentioned before, I know they went to a new supplier for the Clarity Ultra series, people on NASIOC seem to like those gauges.

You mentioned accuracy twice in that post. How do you know a gauge you are using is accurate? Are you comparing it to a mechanical meter?
    I didn't take any offense. I wanted a gauge I could calibrate because of the elevation here and it was the cheapest WRX look gauge I found with that feature.

I was wondering about the actual accuracy of the gauge and why people are so confident in the numbers you get from the ECU for validation. Rich's explanation of how they check the Ultras was fairly convincing and did involve some meters. I figure I can trick it to match the ECU by recalibrating it at the top of a nearby mountain in any case.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Sadly I'm not baller enough for Defi gauges. I do <3 my VDO gauges though.

eGauges.com - VDO, Auto Meter, Defi, Isspro, Cyberdyne and Classic Instruments Gauges
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Well I've tested 2 out of 3. I tested the boost gauge using live boost feature on an AP. I did have a couple of problems with my oil pressure gauge that have since disappeared. During that time I hooked up a mechanical gauage to check my oil pressure. I never tested the accuracy of my EGT gauge because it seems difficult and nearly pointless. The numbers are exactly what everyone else has gotten.
    2005 WRB STi, protuned stage 2+

We live for fun, not forever

"Quantity has a quality all its own." –Josef Stalin

I am Jack's 300 turbocharged horses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12