DIY Custom Carpet...?

This is a discussion on DIY Custom Carpet...? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The carpet in my '02 has seen better days. Honestly, I think Subaru put some thin, cheap stuff in there ...

I Support ClubWRX

DIY Custom Carpet...?

The carpet in my '02 has seen better days. Honestly, I think Subaru put some thin, cheap stuff in there anyway. Anyone ever cut out their own replacement carpet for their car? Is this a lot trickier than I think it will be?

Does the stock carpet press flat when removed, so I can use it as a template? I'm thinking I'll remove it, put down sound deadening, stencil a new, plusher carpet, and reinstall. What am I not thinking of?

Thanks for any insight.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Plush?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carpet_interior.jpg  
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

The Carpet in most modern cars, including the Impreza, is molded specifically to fit the form factor of the floor pan. So it might be hard to follow the lines correctly if using a flat carpet.
    Buying a pre-made setup will be much easier to install.

There are lots of places on the internet that sell carpets ready to install, and there are almost unlimited color combination. Local automotive upholstery shops have access to the same carpets. The local shops will also have samples to evaluate.

There's always used carpet too.
    eBay Motors: 2004 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI BLUE CARPET OEM STOCK (item 160294721336 end time Nov-05-08 07:02:49 PST)

If you're really looking to go all out, maybe you could use something like this.
    Modern Rugs - where modern art, area rugs, and modern furniture come together

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    There are lots of places on the internet that sell carpets ready to install, and there are almost unlimited color combination.
    I had assumed this, but the bit of searching I did at lunch yesterday didn't turn much up for the '02-'07 Impreza. Hence my thought about making my own. Ideally I'd love to find pre-molded replacement carpet for my vehicle, in a style more similar to what you'd find in a higher-end sedan.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I had assumed this, but the bit of searching I did at lunch yesterday didn't turn much up for the '02-'07 Impreza. Hence my thought about making my own. Ideally I'd love to find pre-molded replacement carpet for my vehicle, in a style more similar to what you'd find in a higher-end sedan.
    I don't know how they are for the wrx since they are more mainstream then the Rs's but the aftermarket carpets for the Rs tent to not fit well. People can make them work but it's a big pain. I think it was only one place that made them to and they aren't in business anymore. Honestly if I were you I'd just go with the sti carpet if you like the blue or just buy one from a wrecked wrx. I was able to pick up up a used carpet for $25 bucks. It was in far better condition then mine was.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the STI carpet a higher grade than the standard WRX stuff? I'm not really looking for a boy-racer upgrade; I really want to make the car more like a higher-end sedan.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Is the STI carpet a higher grade than the standard WRX stuff? I'm not really looking for a boy-racer upgrade; I really want to make the car more like a higher-end sedan.
    I think it's more durable then the wrx carpet. Like you said though only problem is it's blue. I wonder if the limited sti is wrx carpet or the sti carpet in black?