Scoop paint cost?

This is a discussion on Scoop paint cost? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I'm new to these forums and I just bought an STi hood scoop for my 02 wrx. The color ...

Scoop paint cost?

Hi I'm new to these forums and I just bought an STi hood scoop for my 02 wrx. The color of my car is midnight black pearl i believe. I went to a Maaco to get a quote and they told me $175, which was half the cost to paint the whole hood. That seemed very expensive to me. Basically I was wondering what the average costs were to have it painted, and what have some of you people paid to have yours painted?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkyZ View Post
    Hi I'm new to these forums and I just bought an STi hood scoop for my 02 wrx. The color of my car is midnight black pearl i believe. I went to a Maaco to get a quote and they told me $175, which was half the cost to paint the whole hood. That seemed very expensive to me. Basically I was wondering what the average costs were to have it painted, and what have some of you people paid to have yours painted?
    If u buy from a vendor like subydude they usually have deals with autobody/paint shops to lower the costs if they send a bunch of scoops their way to be painted. STI hood scoops costs around $150 and u could get it painted in your color for a total of $215 if u buy the scoop and get it painted by them.

But like u and me, I got my scoop unpainted from a different vendor and it cost me $150 to get painted. So basically I ended up paying $300

The average price to paint an sti hood scoop is anywhere from $120-200. It really depends on the shop u go to. So if I were u, hit up different body shops and get multiple quotes.

The main part of the cost is prep. Sanding, cleaning, setting everything up etc...Thats probably why it is so close to the whole hood...At least thats what I have been told...

And I ordered mine through subydude already painted...

But gl with finding a better price
    King Dustin
    Bugeye Mafia # 195
    Cobb Stage 2
    2002 PSM WRX

"
    Life's simple, you make choices and you don't look back. "

it only cost me $100 to get my sti scoop painted at a local body shop. if you pay cash, most of the time they will drop the price a little.

Why on earth would you go to Maaco? They are the worst quality paint jobs out there. Go to your local body shop and ask them for a quote. It should be $200-300 for a quality job. Sanding it yourself will save you at least $100.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Wrinklechops
    I may be way off here, but can't you just paint it yourself? I dunno, make a weekend project out of it? I want to order an STi scoop for my '05 WRX and it says it'll come unpainted, so I'm guessing it's some sort of flat black look? I'm thinking about painting it either flat black or shiny black, or if it comes black I'll just leave it alone until I come up with the extra $ to have it professionally done.