View Poll Results: G-force or Tarmac 3?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • G-force

5 71.43%
  • Tarmac 3

2 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Which wheels? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm in the market for some new wheels for my WRX. I'm not going to order them until the end ...

Which wheels?

I'm in the market for some new wheels for my WRX. I'm not going to order them until the end of December but I think I narrowed it down to 2 wheels. I jsut want to see what everyones opinions are. It's a 04 PSM wingless WRX. My wheel choices are 18x8 Tarmac 3's in gun metallic or I can special order some 18X8.5 G-force's in gun metallic. I'm sticking with Rota because it's all i can really afford. I know they're really similar but theres something about the G-force that makes it stand out more. Let me know what you guys like.

G-Force

Tarmac 3

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd pick the lighter (weight) one.

+1 to that. 18's are going to be heavy. -5 to higher rotational masses.

I emailed Rota and asked about weights. The Tarmac 3 weighs 20lbs and the G-Force weighs 21lbs. Would there really be any significant difference between the added 4lbs?

Surprisingly, YES. There's some goofy physics calculation out there somewhere that states that higher rotational masses are far greater (or worse) than static mass increases, aka "junk in the trunk". Think of a gyro toy...the bigger it is (or the heavier it is), the more force it will take to get up to speed. It will also spin longer because it has more inertia, but the important thing to consider is the amount of effort it takes to accelerate.

Bigger brake discs have the same negative effects, but their increased stopping power negates the acceleration losses in people's minds.

The key thing I try to remember when upgrading wheels and bettering performance and acceleration is to either stick with the stock and tire weight or reduce it. By maintaining, you'll still benefit in performance by increased handling, but not necessarily in acceleration.

WRX's actually have torque, which is very good. My old car did not. It was an RSX Type S. However, on that car, I could actually notice the difference in acceleration times when I switched between my stockies and my 17s. The 17 wheel was lighter, but the tire was not. The total combined weight was about 3 pounds over stock. Multiply that by 4 and that's 12 pounds of additional rotational mass the torqueless engine must contend with.

Whew.

But it's all about what you are going for...looks or performance? Those rims are beautiful and they would look great!
    Last edited by 2:43AM; 10-01-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Also, just moving the mass further from the axis has a negative effect.

If you can afford the wheels you specified, you can also afford Enkei RPF1 in 17x8 (15.5lbs.). Oh, and if anyone has a nice used set, I am looking for some.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

G-forces are pimp
    ALSO Advan c328n's are only like 14.5 lbs for an 18
    06 WRX VF39ED
    Wingl3ss @lliance #20
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Stick with your stockers. They are lightweight, free, & you can paint them whatever color you want.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.